Unassigning spaces/desktops for VMs

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Bill Rising, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Bill Rising

Bill Rising Member

This post concerns using Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac under Mavericks and Mtn Lion.

Long ago (some time in the Leopard/Snow Leopard days) I assigned my VMs to particular spaces/desktops. So, for example, the VM for Windows 7 was on space/desktop 1, for Windows 8 on space/desktop 2, and for Linux on space/desktop 3. I would like to undo this now under Mavericks so that I don't jump to a different space/desktop whenever I start a VM. Does anyone know how to assign a VM to no space/desktop? [This is different then assigning the application as a whole.]

FWIW, here is what I've tried (none of which involves coherence):
    1. Looking in the KB and finding only something about unassigning Parallels from all spaces/desktops.
    2. Right-clicking on the Parallels icon in the Dock and assigning it to no space/desktop. This seems to affect only the virtual machines list but not the individual VMs.
    3. Opening one window per VM, moving all the VM windows to a particular space/desktop, assigning Parallels to that space/desktop, quitting Parallels, restarting Parallels and assigning Parallels to no space/desktop. The end result of this, however, was that all the VMs think they belong in that particular space/desktop.
    Because of test 3, it seems that once a particular VM gets assigned to a space/desktop (via assigning Parallels as a whole), it is impossible to assign that particular VM to no space/desktop whatsoever. What am I missing?