Update Broke Tools -- Win10 ver. 13 pro

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Linolil, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Linolil

Linolil Member

The OS X 10.13.3 update today broke the Parallels Tools and they will not update or install.
    No error messages are seen, but after each installation and reboot you still need to use opCNT-ALT to exit the Windows 10 window and the Coherence and Full-Screen options are greyed out on the View menu. I've run both at the Mac OS level and the Win10 level installation scripts multiple times.
    Running Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Pro Edition
    Version 13.2.0 (43213)

2. Linolil

Linolil Member

Well, things are going downhill. Now, after another reboot to see if things would initialize, the Win10 window is non-responsive. I can click on it to move it, but cannot resize it or enter to work on Windows applications. What really sucks is that it is always in front of all other applications. When I have not clicked on it, it is semi-transparent...

Hurray. I found the answer to that part. Under another application was a Parallel window, showing that the version and allowing you to check for updates. Once I closed that box, Win10 became responsive again. Still no tools.

3. Linolil

Linolil Member

Next stop -- uninstalling parallels Tools...

The latest trick!

On my large monitor; Click on the Win10 window and it still shows that bar for the last OSx application you were running. However, your clicking on the desktop does impact the Windows applications. Unfortunately, there is a large diagonal offset between the mouse pointer and what you click. 90% of the clicks appear to be on the Windows button in the lower left corner. You don't need CNT-ALT to leave the Win10 window.

Move the box to my Macbook monitor; Mouse behaves correctly, CNT-ALT is again required. At least now I should be able to uninstall the Toolbox.

4. Linolil

Linolil Member

I was forced to shutdown Win10. I could not access file folders to uninstall the Toolbox.

5. Linolil

Linolil Member

I noticed the hard disk partition was short on space, so I did some housekeeping and tried installing the Toolbox again. This time I ran it on my large screen, where the text was readable. Setup completed the step of "copying new files" and followed it with a step of "rolling back action" before disappearing. No error messages to explain that "action".

6. Linolil

Linolil Member

Ran CHKDSK -- No bad file records, 0 unindexed files, apparently no journal errors.
    "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems."
    Checked C:\Windows\Temp and found a log with the error 1603 that was over three hours old, so I deleted all the files and ran install again.
    While the job was running, a folder was created in Temp -- then the rollback message came, accompanied by the deletion of everything in Temp, except a file named "Parallels Toolbox.exe". Only now, it appears that the Toolbox is installed and everything is working. Those old files in c:\Windows\Temp must have been part of the problem. They had a 9:30 timestamp -- but I wish I had checked the date on them. Unfortunately, they were not saved in the Recycled Bin.