ecologisto
Junior Member
I am angry. Really.
I have tried to update since yesterday evening and it is just a big massive mess.
First I got the problem with hal.dll. And no, I didn't crash windows neither in bootcamp nor in Parallels previously. It just came up with the upgrade. After spending quite a lot of time to find out how to solve this, I could finally fix it.
Then I got stuck in the middle of step 2. Again googling and searching this forum and finally got it passed with the magic and secrete combination of keys and closing the dialog boxes. In the end, after a few automatic restart plus one forced (windows stuck saying "please wait") I got the parallels tools installed and windows working.
Well, I should not have been too happy about that. This morning, after I booted my computer, Parallels decided that my VM had to be updated. Again. Reminder : it was working yesterday evening, and shut down in a clean way. And then it just got blocked. Pressing ctrl-cmd-alt-R, I could see that it was stuck at the beginning of windows startup, when there is a raw progress bar on a black background. Since then I couldn't do anything. I am now re-installing windows. Once again. Indeed, at each update of Parallels, even small ones, I had problems. Sometimes it would kill Windows, some time it would just need me to take random (for me) action that I would prefer never have known about.
This is poor software. I am engineer, I know what I am talking about. This is very sad that an upgrade can mess up things like this. I wouldn't have already paid for this software, I would definitely try a competitor to see if it goes smoother.
I don't ask for help, at least for the moment, as I don't even know how to describe the symptoms. Let's hope that Windows will work after the re-installation.
I have tried to update since yesterday evening and it is just a big massive mess.
First I got the problem with hal.dll. And no, I didn't crash windows neither in bootcamp nor in Parallels previously. It just came up with the upgrade. After spending quite a lot of time to find out how to solve this, I could finally fix it.
Then I got stuck in the middle of step 2. Again googling and searching this forum and finally got it passed with the magic and secrete combination of keys and closing the dialog boxes. In the end, after a few automatic restart plus one forced (windows stuck saying "please wait") I got the parallels tools installed and windows working.
Well, I should not have been too happy about that. This morning, after I booted my computer, Parallels decided that my VM had to be updated. Again. Reminder : it was working yesterday evening, and shut down in a clean way. And then it just got blocked. Pressing ctrl-cmd-alt-R, I could see that it was stuck at the beginning of windows startup, when there is a raw progress bar on a black background. Since then I couldn't do anything. I am now re-installing windows. Once again. Indeed, at each update of Parallels, even small ones, I had problems. Sometimes it would kill Windows, some time it would just need me to take random (for me) action that I would prefer never have known about.
This is poor software. I am engineer, I know what I am talking about. This is very sad that an upgrade can mess up things like this. I wouldn't have already paid for this software, I would definitely try a competitor to see if it goes smoother.
I don't ask for help, at least for the moment, as I don't even know how to describe the symptoms. Let's hope that Windows will work after the re-installation.