Upgrade Mac OS 10.12 to 10.13 as Guest OS under Parallels 13 fails

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by HerrKolbe, Nov 13, 2017.

1. HerrKolbe

HerrKolbe Bit poster

I have a Mac Mini which runs a virtual Mac OS machine on top of the normal Mac OS. This was very fine for Mac OS 10.11, and 10.12 but fails on Mac OS 10.13. My setup is MacOS 10.12.6 as the host OS and Parallels 13.1.1 (43120). Inside Parallels, there is one guest machine running MacOS 10.12.6, which I want to upgrade to 10.13. When I start the upgrade process of the guest OS machine, the machine is shut down and reboots. At reboot, I get a strange sign instead of the apple logo that look like a "no stopping" traffic sign. After a while, the machine boots into Recovery HD and I can select to start the original version of 10.12.6 but no upgrade is progressing.

What is wrong here?

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    Could you please do the next:
    open your virtual machine's Configuration > Hardware Tab > Boot Order; Add the line "vm.efi.debug=1" (without quotes) into the Boot flags field.
    Then reproduce the problem and send a problem report (menu of Parallels Desktop Help -> Send technical data) and post here its number.

3. HerrKolbe

HerrKolbe Bit poster

Hi Eric, thank you for offering this support.
    In the meantime, I have reviewed Apple support pages and found the issue: The VM setup required a re-do. After re-installing MacOS Sierra, I was able to install MacOS High Sierra. As of now, the result of this boot log would show you a working system.

Therefore, I would like to thank you for offering your support, but say it was no longer needed.

4. MarkusW5

MarkusW5 Bit poster

Hi. I could reproduce the Error and got the following ID: 270451275
    I use Parallels Desktop V12.
    I never could install macOS 10.13 successfully as a VM, yet. I also re-installed Sierra as AndreasK9 described, but I end up with the same Error:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/FwuSdPYKW8xhVPGm9
    (I could not add the Image directly with this link)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    Upgrade to Parallels 13 also will solve the issue (btw I believe it is possible to download a trial version of Parallels 13).
    The Parallels 12 doesn't support APFS file system, so 10.13 guest will work only if somehow to disable APFS inside Mac-guest during install in Parallels 12.