Upgrade to High Sierra: computer cannot now restart

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by HomeG1, Sep 4, 2018.

1. HomeG1

HomeG1 Bit poster

I have used parallels for many years on my 2011 iMac running Windows 7. I have just upgraded to High Sierra and got a Windows 7 message "your computer was unable to start" when I tried to run parallels v11. I have now downloaded the free Parallels V14 software, but get the same message. The exact error message reads "StartRep.exe - Application Error. The instruction at 0x74e68f0a referenced memory at 0x000000004. The memory could not be read". Any ideas what might be going wrong?

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi HomeG1,
    Try starting your Vm in safe mode Knowledge base article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/118732 (cannot boot to windows )
    If you have a System Restore point that you set up prior use the restore point if not there it may be possible using last know good configuration.
    let me know how far you get.

3. HomeG1

HomeG1 Bit poster

Thanks for replying Kat. I have no idea how or why, but I have managed to get it working now - seems to be a bit temperamental, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues to work for now. Kind regards. Kevin

4. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi Kevin, I am glad you got it working.:)

5. JamesD16

JamesD16 Bit poster

Thanks, the link is quite helpful :)...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  6. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi JamesD16,
    Your welcome.

7. Katyperry

Katyperry Bit poster

Thanks, the link is working perfectly fine. :)

8. Danny_Raj

Danny_Raj Bit poster

Thanks, the link is working perfectly fine. :)