Upgrade to v5 removed network interfaces

Steve Winter

Bit poster
Hi,

After being pestered to upgrade to v5 every time I started Parallels, I gave in last night, paid the money, and upgraded.

However, in the process this seems to have removed the Parallels network interfaces from within OS X.

The key reason that I have Parallels is for site testing in Windows browsers, from Apache running in OS X. I also spend a lot of time on trains and planes, which means that my IP address is constantly changing, or often non-existent.

Now that the Parallels interfaces have gone, this doesn't work any more, unless I'm connected to a network, and I will have to keep changing the values in the hosts file in each of my VMs...

I've looked at: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5664 but if that can help me resolve this I've no idea how, so would greatly appreciate any advice on how to get my much-loved interfaces back and working correctly...

Thanks
Steve
 
Hi,

After being pestered to upgrade to v5 every time I started Parallels, I gave in last night, paid the money, and upgraded.

However, in the process this seems to have removed the Parallels network interfaces from within OS X.

The key reason that I have Parallels is for site testing in Windows browsers, from Apache running in OS X. I also spend a lot of time on trains and planes, which means that my IP address is constantly changing, or often non-existent.

Now that the Parallels interfaces have gone, this doesn't work any more, unless I'm connected to a network, and I will have to keep changing the values in the hosts file in each of my VMs...

I've looked at: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5664 but if that can help me resolve this I've no idea how, so would greatly appreciate any advice on how to get my much-loved interfaces back and working correctly...

Thanks
Steve

Hi,
the interfaces have not been removed from system, they were just not shown in SystemPreferences by default anymore.

Try to start the /Application/Utilities/Terminal and type in it command "ifconfig -a". You should see among others interfaces vnic0 and vnic1 - it is the Parallels interfaces.

Also, you can enable "Show In System Preferences" for them - it can be done from Parallels Desktop preferences
 
Back
Top