Upgrade Win XP to Win 10

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CWF1, Nov 17, 2016.

1. CWF1

CWF1 Bit poster

I haven't used Windows for a long time. I recently installed Parallels 12 and today found and installed my old Win XP. According to Parallels site I can't upgrade directly from XP to 10. What's the easiest or best way to upgrade to Win 10?
    Thanks,
    Charlie

2. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @CWF1
    Windows XP isn't eligible for the upgrade to Windows 10. You'll have to do a clean installation of Windows 10, as there's no way to upgrade and keep your files, settings, and programs. It isn't a limitation of Windows 10 but of XP.
    However, I'd recommend installing Windows 10 & map the virtual hard disk of Windows XP to restore data. If you have any applications that run on Windows XP, please check their system requirements and reinstall.

3. Raja2

Raja2 Bit poster

I have the same situation as above. I just installed windows 10, but would like to know please how I can "map the virtual hard disk of Windows XP to restore data". Thanks

4. Hi Raja2. Please follow the steps from this article to add the Windows XP hard disk as a secondary virtual disk to the Windows 10 VM. Please note that you can restore only the data files and you need to reinstall all your programs once again.