Upgraded from 11 to 12, "application cannot be started" error

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BrianS5, Aug 24, 2016.

1. BrianS5

BrianS5 Bit poster

I just upgraded from 11 to 12 and every application I try to use I get the following error:

The "Application Name" application cannot be started.
    The application is installed in a virtual machine that cannot be located. Make sure that the virtual machine hasn't been deleted or moved to another location.

I have tried some recommended fixes from other users that appeared in another thread, however none of them fixed this issue. Is there a fix for this or a timeline of when a fix will be available? I am considering downgrading back to 11.

Attached Files:

2. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

3. BrianS5

BrianS5 Bit poster

That link specifies how to upgrade to 11. Would I follow those same steps when downgrading from 12 to 11? Or are there different instructions you can point me to?

4. Guna@Parallels

You may follow the same instructions to downgrade to Parallels 11 for Mac. Stay tuned for updates.

5. BrianS5

BrianS5 Bit poster

I unistalled 12 and reinstalled 11, however I cannot enter coherence mode now, it is grayed out.

EDIT - Reinstalled Parallels Tools and it is working now.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  6. Guna@Parallels

Great! Feel free to reach us for further assistance.

7. BrianS5

BrianS5 Bit poster

Is there a way to track this bug and be notified when it is resolved?

8. Guna@Parallels

9. JohnnyK1

JohnnyK1 Bit poster

I recently ran into this problem in v12, but it began giving the error after a simple restart of the host Mac (although I actually think I may have had a Parallels update not long before that). I tried uninstalling all of Parallels and associated files, then tried recreating the VM with a fresh Windows. The version I installed seems to be the latest, 12.2.0-41591. It was working fine up until then. Is this a problem with this version or unique to me?

I have to add that the application does launch despite the error. However, I can't launch an app by opening a file in the mac Finder. The Windows apps also do not show up in the Dock. To launch an app, I have to use the Windows start menu.

10. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @JohnnyK1, please install Parallels Tools and check if that makes a difference.

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @JohnnyK1, please be informed that the update for Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac 12.2.1 (41615) addresses this issue. Parallels strongly recommend keeping your copy of Parallels Desktop up-to-date. To download the latest update go to Parallels Desktop menu > Check for Updates