I hope the following will help other users -- and Parallels -- with the upgrade process:
1. The initial process -- and the backing up of version 3 -- went without a hitch.
2. The subsequent four-stage process did not go well at all. The first stage hung. I then had to spend a lot of time on the Internet, at the Parallels website, and in this forum to find posts by others who experienced the same issue. Through persistence and sheer luck I found a post that mentioned using Control-Option-Command-R to break into a manual mode.
3. By this time, I had determined that one would have to respond "no" to any Windows dialogue boxes that would come up, but I was unable to use the mouse/cursor to accomplish this. Nothing would happen when I moved the cursor and clicked on "No," etc.
4. At this point I went to the Parallels website and purchased telephone support for $30. I received a PDF file that provided a number -- (425) 282-6070 -- that I called (during regular hours) to get a message that the number had been suspended. I then flailed around the website for another telephone support number that I used to connect and provide my support number -- to be told that the support personnel were "busy" with others, and to call back later. I was disconnected. So, I wasted a huge amount of time doing this, and I've been charged for support I never received.
5. I then went back and flailed around some more (including on the Internet) until I figured out -- mostly through random luck again -- how I could use the keyboard arrow keys and Enter key to respond to and dismiss the Windows dialogue boxes.
6. I had to use the "Control-Option-Command-R" and 5. repeatedly to get through all the four stages.
7. I successfully activated Windows XP through the Internet to complete the upgrade process.
8. All seems to working O.K. now, as best I can tell...
So, good luck, and, for the Parallels folks, this is the experience of a more-than-novice computer user.
Howard
1. The initial process -- and the backing up of version 3 -- went without a hitch.
2. The subsequent four-stage process did not go well at all. The first stage hung. I then had to spend a lot of time on the Internet, at the Parallels website, and in this forum to find posts by others who experienced the same issue. Through persistence and sheer luck I found a post that mentioned using Control-Option-Command-R to break into a manual mode.
3. By this time, I had determined that one would have to respond "no" to any Windows dialogue boxes that would come up, but I was unable to use the mouse/cursor to accomplish this. Nothing would happen when I moved the cursor and clicked on "No," etc.
4. At this point I went to the Parallels website and purchased telephone support for $30. I received a PDF file that provided a number -- (425) 282-6070 -- that I called (during regular hours) to get a message that the number had been suspended. I then flailed around the website for another telephone support number that I used to connect and provide my support number -- to be told that the support personnel were "busy" with others, and to call back later. I was disconnected. So, I wasted a huge amount of time doing this, and I've been charged for support I never received.
5. I then went back and flailed around some more (including on the Internet) until I figured out -- mostly through random luck again -- how I could use the keyboard arrow keys and Enter key to respond to and dismiss the Windows dialogue boxes.
6. I had to use the "Control-Option-Command-R" and 5. repeatedly to get through all the four stages.
7. I successfully activated Windows XP through the Internet to complete the upgrade process.
8. All seems to working O.K. now, as best I can tell...
So, good luck, and, for the Parallels folks, this is the experience of a more-than-novice computer user.
Howard