Upgrading Parallels and staying on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JulianB2, Nov 1, 2017.

1. JulianB2

JulianB2 Bit poster

Hi there everyone. I am using a Macbook Pro 16 gigs 2.8 Ghz 1 terabyte SSD and Mavericks OSX 10.9.5. I have Parallels Desktop 8 and Windows 7. I would like to update Parallels to a newer version but I need to stay on Windows 7 for the software I run inside it. Can I update Parallels without having to reinstall or move from Windows 7? In other words is it possible to update from Parallels 8 to a newer version while not changing the Windows 7 emulation at all. And if I update to a newer version of OSX what versions of Paralells are compatible (I know I am behind with both OSX 10.10 and OSX 10.11 and even OSX 10.12 available). Thanks for any help and advice with this. I am worried about destrying the current perfectly good operating environment I have for Windows 7 using Parallels Desktop 8. Best regards Julian

2. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @JulianB2,
    Parallels Desktop version 8 is not eligible to upgrade to version 13 hence you need to purchase a new license for version 13 and please check the system requirements of Parallels Desktop 13 http://kb.parallels.com/124223. Upgrading Parallels Desktop will not affect the Windows files, after installing the new version of Parallels you can continue using your existing virtual machine.
    Thanks

3. JulianB2

JulianB2 Bit poster

Hi Alfena. Thank you for the very prompt reply. I will buy a new version (13). I think that my Mac has the specs to support it. Once purchased - does the installation recognize that I have Parallels 8 on my machine and just replace it? I remember I had a lot of problems going form Parallels 7 to 8 (that is the reason I stayed put at 8 for such a long time). Thanks again for your help. Best regards Julian

4. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @JulianB2 , Yes, installing new version will replace the old version.
    Thanks