Upgrading to new linux build??

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by Robertjm, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Robertjm

Robertjm Member

Hi all,

Hopefully, this gets answered, as opposed to falling on deaf ears. I installed a trial version a few months ago. After using it, I stopped while I decided if it was worth spending $50 to buy a license, or whether I should give a freeware product a go.

Recently, I saw that you're currently offering PW6 for linux/windows for $9.99. Pretty much a no brainer to keep going with PW6 since I've got a couple VM set up.

I purchased the key, but noticed the current downloadable version is slightly newer. Do I just run the new install file and it will overwrite what is needed? Also, it seems that every time there is a new kernel update in Ubuntu, it busts the installation. Are there ANY FAQ or help files on how to resolve this issue? There's a thread that was started on this by another person, but I've never seen any type of an answer from Parallels on how to fix this.

Thanks!

Robert

2. Robertjm

Robertjm Member

In case anyone comes across this thread and wonders what the answer was I'll answer it myself.

I downloaded the current .run file from Parallels and ran it. (make sure to make it executable, and run it with sudo to install).

The program recognized I already had PW6 installed so it offered me to either upgrade or install to a new location. I selected upgrade. It went through and installed just fine. Then, when I launched the program and opened one of my virtual machines, it automatically installed the new version of Parallels Tools (or whatever it's called. I'm doing this from memory).

Now, I'm using the latest kernel just fine!

Later,

Robert