USB flash drive problems using Parallels with WinXP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by smax013, Nov 22, 2006.

1. aapotts

aapotts Bit poster

Similar problem with several USB devices

Pearl 8100, Zune, Griffin jog controller

all of them cannot be connected to my parallels VM. Im also running on a Core 2 Duo, i do not have a Core Duo to test on

Ive tried turning on Autoconnect as well, makes no difference

2. jbrains

jbrains Bit poster

I have a Core Duo (Intel Mac Mini) and am having the same problems.

3. davidnin

davidnin Bit poster

Ditto

MacBook purchased 2 days ago, Core 2 Duo, which will not allow access to a USB Thumbdrive. I work with software that requires the unit to be mounted in XP so sharing via the virtual Ethernet port is not an option.

4. enidoi

enidoi Bit poster

Just installed the new build (3036) and I got all my devices working including NTSC formatted drives. I am able to read write and delete. Looks like speed is USB 1 though but at least it works!

5. smax013

smax013 Junior Member

When I installed the beta 3036 build on my dad's computer the other night, it was working. I could access two different flash drives, his external NTFS formatted USB harddrive, and camera flash memory cards through a card reader. At the time, however, I did not test any other USB devices such as his Treo for Hotsyncing nor with PDANet.

He seems to be having trouble at the moment. When he tried his portable USB drive, it did not seem to work. I am able to put my hands on his computer so I don't know if this is a temporary problem or not. He also has since tried syncing his Treo and using PDANet. While it worked in Build 1970, neither works in Build 3036.

Thus, I am going to revert him back to Build 1970 for the time being (he needs the PDANet ability at the moment more than he needs the access to the USB drives, especially since there is a work around). I have to admit that I am trying to figure out the proper way to "downgrade". It appears that I should uninstall Build 3036 and reinstall 1970, but I am trying to determine if the Parallels activation/serial key will be needed when I reinstall 1970 or if it remembers it. I don't need to worry about the Parallels Tools issue as I made a back up the VM BEFORE I installed the new Build. So, I should just be able to copy the back VM into the folder.

FWIW, I have not yet tried Build 3036 on my MBP with the Core Duo as I did not have the USB issues. I will likely try it soon as I am curious to try out the new features.

6. mfarwell

mfarwell Bit poster

some work and some dont

I have a MBP 2.16ghz C2D with 2GB ram and I am running Parallels Desktop build 3036. I have turned on the usb automount feature and found that 3 of my 5 usb drives work. I don't know why some work and some do not. It seems to point to something special about the Sandisk Cruzers...

These 3 work-
    Lexar Jumpdrive 256M
    Kingston Datatraveler 512M
    Sandisk Cruzer Micro 256M

These 2 dont work-
    Sandisk Cruzer Mini 512M
    Sandisk Cruzer Titanium 512M