USB Hard drive connection issue

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Parallels User, Aug 13, 2017.

1. I've encountered a rather odd behaviour when connecting an external hard drive through a USB hub.

Steps to reproduce:
    1 - Connect the USB drive to Mac through a USB hub.
    2 - Wait for the drive to mount.
    3 - Go to: Parallels menu bar menu --> Devices --> External devices --> Select your hard drive
    4 - The device does not get connected to the guest OS. (No check mark beside the device either.)

If I do those steps with any other USB device it does work fine. (USB stick, Ethernet adapter, USB dongle of any kind.)
    The device gets connected to the guest OS so the issue seems to affect only hard drives so far.
    I tried unmounting the drive before connecting it to the guest OS to no avail.

If instead of connecting the hard drive through a USB hub I connect it directly to the mac, I am able to connect it to the guest OS like any other USB device.

I've reproduced the issue with 3 different Hard drives and at least 4 different hubs, either USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 hubs.

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Have you tried to connect the external Hard drives without using a Hub?
    What file system is used in those Hard drives is it FAT, NTFS, ExFAT or HFS?

3. 1 - From my original post:
    If instead of connecting the hard drive through a USB hub I connect it directly to the mac, I am able to connect it to the guest OS like any other USB device.
    2 - I've reproduced this issue with hard disk formatted in NTFS and HFS+ (I have Paragon HFS+ installed on the guest Windows OS)

Additional information: This has been reproduced with both a disk that has multiple partitions and a disk that has a single partition.

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @Pierre-Luc , please try to reinstall Parallels Tools by clicking Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools and check if that helps. If that doesn't work, please reproduce the issue and reply to us with the problem report id , we will check and assist you further.

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team