using Parallels on a iMacFusion Drive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MitchBVI, May 13, 2013.

1. MitchBVI

MitchBVI Bit poster

Does anyone know if Parallels 8 or any version for that matter works with OS 10.8.2 on an iMac with a fusion drive.

Write ups I have seen suggest that Windows related programs do not work if installed using Bootcamp.

So my question is 1 does it work if installed in bootcamp 2 does it work if installed as a virtual machine in the Mac OS.

Thanks

Peter

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

[h=2]What's new in Parallels Desktop 8.0.18483.860857:[/h]April 3rd, 2013

· Addresses overall stability and performance issues, and includes the following enhancements.

[h=2]What's new in Parallels Desktop 8.0.18480.859305:[/h]March 28th, 2013

Addresses overall stability and performance issues, and includes the following enhancements:
    · Better compatibility with new iMacs.
    · Create Boot Camp virtual machines on new iMacs with 3 TB hard drives.

· Create virtual machines from the Boot Camp partition with Windows 8 installed.
    · Support for Fedora 18.
    · Fixed visual artifacts when changing screen resolution in a Windows 8 Pro virtual machine with more than 256 MB of video memory and nested virtualization enabled.
    · Resolves an issue with the Command + click combination not opening links in new tabs in Windows browsers (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.).

3. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

Hi Peter,

I use the new IMac and fusion drive. It seems to work fine and certainly very very fast
    I would suggest you use version 8 parallels though for the stability update.

Regards
    Kevin

4. mitchbvi@

mitchbvi@ Bit poster

Kevin

Thanks so much that is very useful, you did not mention if you re using it in Bootcamp or as an emulation?

Take care Peter

5. KevinClarke

Hi Peter,

Sorry for missing this information out. I'm using emulation only. I always have as I prefer to switch between windows and mac without rebooting. With the new IMac and Mountain Lion it is even easier switching from mac to windows or vice versa just like turning a page, using the magic mouse. I have 16GB of RAM in my IMac, I assigned 4GB in the parallels config to windows. however, the Fusion drive being so quick and containing the parallel's runs very quickly booting and general usage. I also think Parallels 8 has contributed to the overall emulation performance, this was even before I moved to a new Imac.

Let me know if you have anymore questions

Regards
    Kevin

6. mitchbvi@

mitchbvi@ Bit poster

Hi Kevin

Again my thanks, that covers everything I have a couple of Windows programs that just have not made it to Mac's yet and probably will not so it is important for me.

I to prefer emulation for the same reason.

Take care

Peter

7. KevinClarke

Hi Peter,

One last point. I use windows 7 VM. I'm about to create a Separate windows 8 VM to test. I can't imagine Windows 8 will work differently with the Fusion drive, but I guess you never know... :)

Regards
    Kevin

8. mitchbvi@

mitchbvi@ Bit poster

Hi Kevin

I agree you never know I have been using Windows XP for ever as I worry about problems with the OS and my Windows programs are not exactly recent. If you have time would appreciate a heads up after you have 8 up and running as I think its about time I update if I can use the latest version.

Thanks

Peter

9. KevinClarke

Hi Peter,

Sure will let you know. I hope to upgrade within a week or two.

regards
    Kevin

10. KevinClarke

Hi Peter,

I installed Windows 8 pro upgrade from Windows 7 this worked very well an no problems. Windows 8 is of course very different itself but it seems very quick loading and general operation seems quick. I only assigned 2Gb of RAM so far, again the Fusion drive operation is aiding performance.

One point to note was after installing a clean windows 7, then installing windows 8 upgrade I needed to reinstall parallels again. I think this was because my initial windows 7 installed parallel tools and this process was required again after my win 8 upgrade.

Otherwise very clean and easy.

Regards
    Kevin