Utility to identify USB devices on VMs

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by sakp, Apr 27, 2017.

1. sakp

sakp Bit poster

Having a dozen VMs running and connecting USB devices back and forth it would be REALLY useful to have a tool, e.g. "Quick look" like utility, to quickly list and identify which USB devices are connected to what VMs. Now, to be sure, I have to check each one out.

A bonus feature would be the ability to quickly reconnect USB devices through that same interface between VMs.

I'm not sure which method is better identifying (trying to) multiple same kind devices; Numbering by insertion order or try to keep a static number based on serials and "unique" stuff (could be difficult on "all" devices w/o standardized serial/UUID specs?).

Aries@PF, MatthewR20, Nenad and 10 others like this.
  2. jotgrt

jotgrt Bit poster

On a Linux host, when a virtual machine is running, its window is the active window. If you plug a USB device into the host system, the device connects to the virtual machine instead of the host by default. If a USB device connected to the host system does not connect to a virtual machine at power on, you must manually connect the device to the virtual machine. activation-process

3. GeorgeT10

GeorgeT10 Bit poster

As a virtual machine user, identifying USB devices connected to my VM has always been a challenging task. Fortunately, I discovered a free and advanced utility called USBDeview, which makes this task effortless. This revanced utility offers a range of features that simplify the management of USB devices connected to the VM. With USBDeview, I can view detailed information about each device, including its name, device ID, vendor ID, product ID, and serial number. What's more, USBDeview is not only limited to local VMs but can also work with remote VMs. Its advanced features make it an essential tool for virtual machine users who need to manage multiple USB devices.

4. NillA

NillA Bit poster

USBDeview is a game-changer for VM users like me. This tool's seamless USB device identification and detailed info display, even for remote VMs, is a true blessing. A must-have for hassle-free USB management in virtual environments.