UWP application windows do not update when resized

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MichaelD34, Oct 31, 2018.

1. MichaelD34

MichaelD34 Bit poster

I have been exploring some of the features and applications included with Windows 10, as I have typically been using Windows 8.1 in a VMware Fusion VM for work. While exploring Windows 10 applications that are built using the Windows Universal Platform (UWP), I have found an issue with resizing application windows. When resizing to a smaller window, the expected behavior occurs, but when making a window larger, anything beyond the size at which the window was when the application was launched does not properly refresh. Instead, other Windows 10 application windows show through even if a Mac window is under the UWP application's window.

The screenshot above shows the Windows 10 Maps application.* The area of the window where the map is properly displayed is the size of the Maps window when it was launched. The expanded area from resizing shows portions of a Microsoft Word 2016 document and a JMP 14 report window. While this issue does not impact my intended use for having a Parallels Desktop Windows 10 VM, it could eventually become more problematic if and when more software adopts UWP.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, is there a resolution?

System Configuration

27-inch iMac 5K Retina
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 (4 cores)
    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory (8 GB allocated to Windows 10 VM)
    AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2 MB
    Parallels 14 Home Edition
    Windows 10 Home Edition 10.0.17134 (April 2018 Update)

* You have to love how Microsoft did not even try to hide the fact that they lifted the names of their UWP applications from macOS.

Attached Files: