v16 fails to install Parallel Tools

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by HallS, Oct 20, 2020.

1. HallS

HallS Junior Member

Running macOS 10.15.7 and Windows 10 v19041.572 (both OSes are up-to-date) and attempting to upgrade to v16 goes okay but Parallels Tools fails to install. It's the typical lock-up at 15% and I've read endless KB articles on this common 15% hang. I'd like to see a more recent one, updated to reflect v16 but didn't see one yet. Now, I have had issues installing Parallels Tools for a long time and always have to manually install it from the PrTools folder in %TEMP%. This appears to have changed with v16 though. The folder isn't even being created when I was able to get Task Manager to open and kill Parallels Tools installation to check or look for it. Subsequent attempts though, Windows ends up locked hard and I can't do anything except stop it (the Windows VM) and re-install v15.x. I don't get any errors either.

"sfc /scannow" found some errors and said it fixed them. I've run it twice since and it no longer finds issues.

Is there an updated KB article that I'm not finding ? Any solutions in case others ran into anything similar ?

2. Hello,
    Thank you for reporting this.
    It looks like it's a know issue and it has been already escalated to the Parallels Engineering team.
    But in order to find the root cause could you please reproduce the issue, collect the tech report data and post the report's ID here?
    Looking forward to your reply