Various Strange Issues with Parallels 15 - Graphics Driver?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChrisJ19, Jan 14, 2020.

1. ChrisJ19

ChrisJ19 Bit poster

Hardware: Macbook Pro 2015, 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
    Software: MacOS Catalina 10.15.2 (19C57), Windows 10 Pro (1909), Parallels Buisiness Edition 15.1.2 (47123)

Since upgrading to the first iteration of Parallels 15, I had problems with Office 365 applications running very sluggish and triggering the fans on the Macbook. I think it was around 15.1, this problem seems to get better, but still can trigger the fans when clicking through multiple emails.

The recent update of Parallels caused me some more serious problems. I use Windows to run AutoDesk software such as AutoCad and Revit. Whenever I view a model in 3D, Parallels suddenly decides to trigger the suspend routine for Windows. The Macbook becomes unresponsive for a few minutes and can sometimes completely crash or restart. If I'm 'lucky' enough and it recovers, I can resume Windows again and everything will be fine (except Revit will have crashed and I will have lost any unsaved work). I have found a temporary fix for this, by disabling Hardware acceleration, but the side effect of this is every runs extremely slowly. In addition to this, Windows tends to run very sluggish with anything that pushes the GPU a little. I can see this from my iStats menus and everything grinds to a halt quite often.

My assumption is that these problems are related to the graphics drivers, either under Catalina or the emulated ones that Parallels uses. Are there any workarounds for this sort of behaviour, other than the obvious of rolling back to an older version of Parallels?

2. ChrisJ19

ChrisJ19 Bit poster

I realize this may be quite a specific problem, but I wonder whether this relates to any similar problems that others have been experiencing with Parallels 15 and Catalina?

Any chance of Parallels Tech support chirping in?

3. Carlos1

Carlos1 Bit poster

Hello:
    I use Revit Architecture 2019, 2020, 2021, on a I mac 2014 running Catalina and VM on WIndows 10. Parallels has 16Gb of memory assigned and Video memory at automatic.
    While on Revit, If I set the VM to Suspend mode, the video driver crashes and I have to restart Revit. I brought this issue to Parallels support but the case has been sent and stuck in "engineering" since last year, with no response. If I use Pause mode instead, no crashes happened. Any idea why this happens? Thanks.

4. Parallels Engineering Team still working on the issue resolution.
    We will update you once we get any news.
    Please sorry for the any inconvenience caused.

5. Carlos1

Carlos1 Bit poster

Maria: Thanks for writing.
    This issue has been long unresolved and I suspect it has something to do with the configuration of the Parallels video adapter. I actually don't know much about this kind of problem, but I found this article (which you probably already know) about video adapters crashing (not in Parallels). It is probably unrelated but here it is anyway:
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...-driver-error-occurred-and-Revit-crashes.html

6. StuartM10

StuartM10 Bit poster

Have you found a work around on this? I am using R20 and whenever I try to update a dimension or text in the text box, Revit crashes and a technical report error comes up stating graphics. I am using a mid 2014 Macbook pro and recently updated to BigSur, which I have a feeling might be the cause of my woes? It didn't used to happen with Catalina. Very annoying.

7. Carlos1

Carlos1 Bit poster

StuartM10
    I haven't found any solutions to this problem. Revit support down't know about it but what is mentioned in https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...-driver-error-occurred-and-Revit-crashes.html.
    But, if I turn off hardware acceleration in Options in Revit, the problem doesn't occur, also if I Pause the system instead of Suspend it. Both options are not satisfactory because turning off HA gives poor graphics. Pause instead of Suspend works for a short time, until Windows puts the system to Sleep which is like Suspend in Parallels. I am tired of asking Parallels about this. They say they will update when they have a solution but this has been going on for a couple of years. I am very tempted to try VM Ware ....

8. StuartM10

StuartM10 Bit poster

Ha, that doesn't fill me with confidence then! I've been toying with buying a desktop computer to actually use Revit properly on Windows, but it's depending on a few personal circumstances. Drastic but a viable way forward. My issues seem to stem from the "upgrade" from Catalina to BigSur. I didn't have these issues prior to the update, which I had done by mistake!