Version 14 breaks classic shell/Start8 on Win8 vm's

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DrewL, Sep 3, 2018.

1. DrewL

DrewL Bit poster

Like it says, I noticed this on my imac as I use a windows 8.1 vm on both it and my macbook pro. I just updated to version 14 on my macbook and am seeing the exact same thing where classic start does not work any more. clicking the start menu at the bottom pulls up the metro app menu.

I tried uninstalling start8 and modern mix and reinstalling classic shell and classic start on my imac but it still does not work. If I exit coherence, the start menu behaves like it should but not when in coherence mode.

Furthermore, I do not see the option anymore in the parallels VM options to run in windows 7 look and it is no longer in the "View" drop down menu.

What happened? I do not use win10 so this was a big deal for me with Parallels. How can I get it back? Downgrade to version 13??

2. SimonH8

SimonH8 Bit poster

I have noticed the same thing. I have personally downgraded to parallels 13. But I would like to see a response from the Parallels team as I'd like to upgrade and keep the windows 7 style start menu in my windows 8 vm with coherence mode (and i refuse to downgrade to windows 10).