Very weird problem with Configure menu...

HeidiH

Bit poster
Configure menu has image background? Help!

So I just installed Parallels, definitely have the most recent update, and I created a Vista virtual machine.
It all seems to be working fine, except for one very weird problem. When I clicked the "configure" menu for the first time, for some reason it "grabbed" an image of Marilyn Monroe from a webpage I had open in the background. The background of the "Configure" menu is now Marilyn Monroe, and I can't seem to change it. It's problematic because I can't read the menus. It's on every tab of the Configure screen. Help?

This is what it looks like:
a0bedy.jpg
 
Last edited:
Hello,

Please follow the steps below in regards with the issue:

1. Please uninstall Parallels using the latest 3846 build.


http://download.parallels.com/deskt...lsDesktop-parallels-en_US-4.0.3846.436204.dmg

But remember that you need to uninstall both application and application settings while uninstalling Parallels Desktop application.

2. Then install Parallels desktop build 3846. After installing you will be prompted to create a new virtual machine. Cancel that page and go to File -> Open and choose the appropriate .pvm file in Documents/Parallels.

Also, install Parallels Tools.
 
Thanks! I was hoping to avoid reinstall, but I guess I'll have to. Appreciate the help!

ETA:
Ummm, guys?
I've uninstalled/reinstalled several times now, using the latest build file, and I made sure to check "application settings" each time. I restarted my Mac between installs and even deleted my Virtual Machine. The problem is still happening. I am just utterly confused.

Any help?
 
Last edited:
OK, guys? I've actually uninstalled/reinstalled several times now and the problem is still occurring. I can't read the Configure menus.

I uninstalled completely. Restarted my Mac. Double-checked for any files left behind, there were none. I deleted the Virtual Machine. Reinstalled Parallels. Reinstalled Vista virtual machine. Still have a Marilyn Monroe menu. Lather, rinse, repeat.... still Marilyn Monroe.

Could the install file itself have been corrupted somehow? The problem originally happened with my install CD... but my last few attempts have been with the download file that Anupama pointed me to. I am totally confused.
 
(Sorry for the double post up there.)

Well, I've submitted a Support ticket.
They recommended the full reinstall, and gave me some code to type into the Terminal. No dice.
Next, they recommended "Repair Disk Permissions." Still didn't fix the problem.

Here's where it gets REALLY crazy. I actually even tried reformatting my hard drive. I have a Time Machine backup ... and I knew that whatever the problem was, it was probably on there somewhere ... so I told the Setup Assistant to ONLY transfer my User folders (no Applications, no Settings, etc.) Reinstalled Parallels and the Vista Virtual Machine. And guess what? STILL MARILYN MONROE.

I guess the next step is to try reformatting again, and just transfer my documents manually (and carefully) from the Time Machine disk.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
 
Solved

Well... Finally. Tech support provided the simplest solution ever for this problem, and it worked.
I'm actually kind of annoyed that this wasn't the FIRST solution suggested by Tech Support. I certainly didn't need to tear my hair out over this problem.

For anyone who cares, if you ever run into this problem here's what you do:

To solve the issue please do the following:

1) Open TextEdit and save document on the Desktop (just save empty document) (I called it back.rtf)
2) Open Configuration Editor (Configure->)
3) drag the empty document to Configuration Editor after that background should be normal again
 
Back
Top