Virtual Machine retro-compatibility (from Parallels 11 to Parallels 8)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Pedrera, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Pedrera

Pedrera Bit poster

Hello. I purchase a license for Parallels 11 and installed my Windows 7 VM succesfully.
    I remember I already purchased in the past a Parallels 8 license, so my question: can I use (or convert) the actual VM created under Parallels 11 into my Parallels 8 installation ?
    Thank you all in advance.

2. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Pedrera,
    Yes, you can use the same virtual machine files with different versions of Parallels Desktop, Parallels Desktop would automatically retrieve the virtual machine files immediately after the installation from the earlier version.

3. Pedrera

Pedrera Bit poster

earlier version ? My question is about copy virtual machine files from the newest Parallels 11 to the oldest 8... Do you confirm that I can use NEW VM with OLD Parallels version ?

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello Pedrera,
    Yes, you are right! You can use the new virtual machine and it files on the earlier versions of Parallels Desktop.
    In order to transfer the existing virtual machine to new or old Parallels Desktop, kindly follow this article.

5. Pedrera

Pedrera Bit poster

6. MarkR2

MarkR2 Bit poster

You can convert of course

-ipitimi.com

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

You are welcome! Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help. Thanks!