Visual Studio 2010 Does Not Show Icon

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Adam Robinson, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Adam Robinson

Adam Robinson Bit poster

I'm running Parallels 5 on my 15" MacBook Pro (early 2010). When running in Crystal or Coherance mode, Visual Studio 2010 does not display its application icon in the dock area of my Mac. The only way to activate it without activating another Windows application first (and I usually don't run anything but VS) is to minimize all of my OS X windows until I can see and click on the Visual Studio window.

This problem does not apply to any other Windows programs, just Visual Studio 2010.

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

I'm running Parallels 5.0.9370, Windows XP SP 3, Visual Studio 2010 Premium. The icon appears correctly in all modes.

Does it show up when you're in Window, Full Screen, or Modality modes?

Is there a helper application in the Windows Applications folder (go to /Applications, open the Windows Applications alias, look for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010.app) ?

To remove the Windows Applications folder, go to Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Options -> Shared Applications, deselect the "Share Windows applications with Mac OS X" option, then press OK. To recreate the Windows Applications folder, reselect the option.

Attached Files:

3. Adam Robinson

Adam Robinson Bit poster

The helper application does exist, though I went through the steps of removing then re-adding the Windows menu, but to no avail.

By any chance is your copy of VS2010 running with elevated permissions? Mine is, so I'm curious if that might be a (confusing) source of contention.

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

I'm not sure what you mean by elevated permissions. I use a normal user account "joevt" which is a computer administrator account. I run apps normally when logged in under that account.

If I right click an app and select "Run as" and choose Administrator, the app runs and appears in the Windows taskbar but does not appear in the dock or the Mac application switcher. Maybe this is the problem you're having? It affects any application (not just VS 2010) that you run as a different user than the logged in user. I guess running an app this way bypasses Parallels Tools somehow, meaning this is probably a bug or missing feature in Parallels Tools.

Since the apps appear in the taskbar, you could use the "View Windows Taskbar" and switch using the taskbar. I put my dock on the left side of the screen.

You can also switch apps by using Alt-Tab if you have a Windows app in the front.

5. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

In Coherence mode, you can right click the Start icon in the Dock and get the same list of items as the Windows taskbar and switch that way. I don't see a similar feature in Crystal mode though. I think Parallels should add this feature to Crystal mode too.

6. jessv

jessv Bit poster

This is true.

I opened Visual Studio 2008 in admin mode and it does not show up for switching. I have to for work and it makes it difficult to switch in these special view modes. Hopefully this is fixed in parallels 5 and not just 6.

7. MartijnBroos

MartijnBroos Bit poster

Solution for this issue

Hi,

After some extensive search I found the cause and solution for this issue.
    The cause is like most of the times Windows:) Apple doesn't have braindamaged features which bug an entire operating system.
    The feature causing this is the UAC. If you disable this in your windows enviroment then you can see your elevated programs in your dock and under the cmd+tab list.
    I had the same issue with VS2008.