VM from boot camp vs VM from mac os

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by SergeyB2, Jan 2, 2017.

1. SergeyB2

SergeyB2 Bit poster

Which performance of win10 VM is better on macbook pro 2015, core I7, 16 Gb: VM form boot camp partition or VM from mac os partition? I need win10 for intensive calculations using matlab and win console applications.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello SergeyB2, we would like you to try " VM from Mac OS partition". Since it is a separate partition you can easily save your work, take a snapshot etc.,
    Windows running from Boot Camp has the following limitations:
    * It can't be paused.
    * It can't be saved as a snapshot.
    * It can't run in Safe Mode.
    * It can't be compressed.
    As an alternative resource on this discussion, we also recommend you to import Windows and your data from Boot Camp into Parallels Desktop:

3. SergeyB2

SergeyB2 Bit poster

Thank you for your explanation. Which of the two variants has better performance for calculating tasks?

4. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Honestly for calculating tasks I doubt if there is any difference. If you benchmark the maths performance of a CPU inside a VM, it reports almost exactly the same as the number of cores allocated manage outside the VM. The difference is first how many cores you use (remember only Pro technically allows more than 4 cores allocated to a VM), and what else the computer is doing outside the VM (if you have two VM's both using 4 cores, and an OS running outside, something has to loose performance somewhere!...
    I've run basic maths tasks in a VM allocated 4 cores on a I7 at 4GHz, and the times are almost identical to an i5 at a similar speed.
    Where you get a performance loss, is things like graphics, and disk I/O will be different between the two environments you refer to.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Thank you for your suggestion @RogerH6 You can try installing Parallels Desktop Pro trial on your Mac @SergeyB2 and install Windows on your Bootcamp as well and check the performance. Thanks!