VM using Bootcamp-Partition not possible with Parallels Desktop 13

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by S.Stuiver, Sep 21, 2017.

1. S.Stuiver

S.Stuiver Bit poster

I have installed Windows 10 in Bootcamp and bought a license to activate this. I used Parallels Desktop 12 to test a VM from Bootcamp-Partition, which worked well. In the Meantime PD13 was released, so I updated on this and bought a license-key for this as well.
    Unfortunately in PD13 the VM does not recognize that windows has already been activated in the Bootcamp-Partition, so I bought a second license-key for Windows to use in the VM.
    When I start Windows directly, from the previously activated Bootcamp-Partition, it is again not activated. So I activate again with my first entered license-key. As soon as I want to use the VM, this one is, again, not activated. So I activate it again with my secondly bought license.

This way of use (using both Bootcamp and VM) is described in the Parallels Desktop Manual and worked fine when I was testing it with PD12. It clearly does not work with PD13, leaving me without a usable Windows (for both License-Keys the activation and re-activation tokens have been used now). My only option left is to buy another Windows-License, which is really, really frustrating !!!

I hope you will get this problem fixed in future updates and communicate this to other (potential) users as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2017
  2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi S.Stuiver. Just to be clear, the present scenario is that you have 2 separate Windows licenses - one used for the native boot camp Windows installation and one used for the Windows installation running under Parallels Desktop, and switching between those two Windows installations means the activation would be disabled on the Windows that you are switching to, correct?

3. S.Stuiver

S.Stuiver Bit poster

yes, that's correct. First, with PD12, it worked fine with one Windows-License. With PD13 it doesn't work with one License, but it doesn't work with two separate licenses either.

I bought a third Windows-License now, and decided to use Windows in the VM only, since the other 2 licenses are no longer usable. The Bootcamp-Partition I deleted now. Windows also runs better this way (Bootcamp is installing windows in the non-SSD part).
    Also my 'MS Office Home&Business' can not be re-installed since it had one installation too many now (was installed in Bootcamp-Windows).