Looks like Microsoft is not happy at the thought of people buying the cheap versions of Vista and running them under VM software like Parallels Desktop
:
Techweb
Bad move Microsoft. Many Parallels Mac users are going to be hurt by this. I don't need a "Business" version of Vista to run on my Mac. In fact, I think I'll avoid Vista altogether now. Win2k and XP run just fine under Parallels Desktop.
Techweb
Microsoft has released licenses for the Windows Vista operating system that dramatically differ from those for Windows XP in that they limit the number of times that retail editions can be transferred to another device and ban the two least-expensive versions from running in a virtual machine.
The new licenses, which were highlighted by the Vista team on its official blog Tuesday, add new restrictions to how and where Windows can be used.
Elsewhere in the license, Microsoft forbids users from installing Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium in a virtual machine. "You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system," the legal language reads. Vista Ultimate and Vista Business, however, can be installed within a VM.
Vista Home Basic, at $199 for a full version and $99 for an upgrade, and Vista Home Premium ($239/$159), are the two most-affordable retail editions of the operating system scheduled to appear on store shelves in January 2007.
Bad move Microsoft. Many Parallels Mac users are going to be hurt by this. I don't need a "Business" version of Vista to run on my Mac. In fact, I think I'll avoid Vista altogether now. Win2k and XP run just fine under Parallels Desktop.