Warhammer 3 fails to launch after 2.1.1 update

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JonathanA10, Sep 9, 2022.

1. JonathanA10

JonathanA10 Junior Member

Hey everyone. I use Parallels to play Win games with friends. I've been able to use it with Total War Warhammer 2 and 3 without any problem. I installed the 2.1.1 updated recently, and now the Warhammer3 app will not launch. The Total War launcher opens fine from Steam, but when I try to launch Warhammer 3, the launcher closes and the play button reappears on Steam. I can see Warhammer3 appear in the Task Master, the cursor will spin, and then after about 15 seconds the task is killed. This seems like some incompatibility was introduced in the new patch. To resolve this I have:
    • Updated Parallels, Win11, Steam, Warhammer3, graphics driver
    • Clean reinstall of Warhammer3, Parallels Tools
    • Verified Warhammer3 files
    • Run Warhammer3 as an Admin
    Does anyone else on here use Parallels with Total War Warhammer, and have you gotten it to run with the new 2.1.1 patch? Any suggestions as to what might be causing the app to fail? Thanks so much!

2. JonathanA10

btw...using a 16" Macbook Pro M1 Max 32GB

3. JonathanA10

after poking around on here some, I'm thinking this is a DirectX 12 thing. Any update on when that will be supported? That seems to be a vital piece for all of us using parallels to play Windoze games on Steam.

4. MarcoS21

MarcoS21 Bit poster

Same situation here... I tried also the trial of Parallels 18 pro but without success. From the task manager it is clear that the game crashes as soon as it starts, I launched it also with dx11 option to no avail. I rolled back to 2.1.0 and it worked, so it is clearly related to the hot fix :-(
    I hope someone will fix it but I have very limited hopes unfortunately

5. JonathanA10

I did a roll back, and it took me to 2.0.0. Works fine now. Something in 2.1.1 made parallels fall on its face.

6. ollie3

ollie3 Bit poster

How did you do the roll back?

7. JonathanA10

When you're looking at the game page in Steam, hit the gear icon just below the lower, right corner of the display image. Choose "Properties." In Properties, select the "Betas" tab, and then choose "rollback - Roll back to the previous patch" from the drop down list. That will download and re-install 2.0. Took me about 10min.