mrdalej said:

First let me state for the record that Canon USB 2.0 printers do not seem to work with Bonjour or with installing the driver. It has to do with the printer being a USB 2.0 device & Parallels disliking USB 2.0 devices.
Having said that here is my working solution:
1. Canon will not print/share cross platform.
Really worth emphasising that cross platform printing capabilities depend on platform technologies and not on the printer manufacturer.
I will say it again. The answers to setting up printers are here:
http://forums.parallels.com/post24774-66.html
I have just set up a Canon 5200R attached by USB. I know what I am doing, but the whole job takes only 2 and a half minutes . I have recorded a video of it being done so you can copy the procedure and get yourself out of this hole.
http://dpreview.hotair.fastmail.co.uk/Canon%205200%20setup.mov
In the course of the video you will see me...
1. Plug-in the USB printer on the Mac (canon software already installed)
2. Check the System Profiler for the USB connection settings. I refresh the Profiler to get the information I need. I copy the URI setting to the clipboard.
3. I use the web interface to the CUPS printing system (
http://127.0.0.1:631). You may have to enter your
short user name and normal password at this stage. I set up a Raw printer queue. This involves pasting the URI information from step 2.
4. I check that the raw printer queue is active as a shared printer (Don't be confused by my having two entries with the same description - it is just that I am too lazy and copied my Epson printer's description).
5. In Parallels, I setup a network printer - my network is setup so that I can use DNS names such as 'macpro' for my machine - you may have to use the IP address.
6. I verify that I can access the printer properties and I have at this stage printed a test page.
It works. It prints a test page. I use this setup daily. It works with no compromises. It doesn't need extra Airport hardware.