where can I find Acronis True Image 11 and Acronis Disk Director Suite 10

uskoeln

Bit poster
I have installed the Security Suite so far. But where can I find the other tools, which are mentioned in the "why upgrade to 4.0", named Acronis True Image 11 and Acronis Disk Director Suite 10???

Any ideas?
 
And, what good are they?

here's a related question:

Once you have found them, what good are they?

They are fine products for Windows, but they do not understand either the Mac GPT partitioning scheme or the Mac HFS file system. what this means is that backups using True Image can only be made from within the VM running windows. the VM has to be working to make or restore a True Image backup, as far as I can tell. Why would one make or use such a backup given the ability to clone or snapshot a VM that already exists in Parallels? Also, True Image Home 11 is, in my experience, a bit buggy, and has been replaced by a new version, True Image Home 2009,

Similarly, Acronis Disk Director suite can not deal with Macintosh partitions (which use GPT) or the Macintosh file system. The program also has to used from windows, from within a functioning windows VM, and will only repartition virtual disks in the VM itself. It may be useful if one wants to expand the VM disk image and then expand a single windows partition to take advantage of the increased virtual disk space in the form of a larger virtual C: drive, but there is little else one can do with Disk Director on a Mac.

I'd love to see Parallels bundle Mac compatible tools, rather than Acronis
 
alexofindy asked >Once you have found them, what good are they?

I have have on occasion had parallels disks images(including snapshots) rendered unusable. So to make that issue go away, you need to back up the disks, problem is, they are huge, and as far as OS X is concerned just one big friken file. That is the problem, the big file. I don't want to back up the entire big file all the time, or clutter up my time machine with the huge file(s) taking all the space.


This is where acronis comes into play. You use it to backup your system, then use the incremental backup solution to keep abreast of the changes. For some folks, I guess they can get by reinstalling their VM and apps, for for me and my business customers, that is not an option. Here is the real time it takes to rebuild one windows XP system from scratch for one of my customers. 6 hours. Here is the breakdown.

Install windows Xp from CD
install parallels tools
activate windows XP
install anti virus application
install firewall application
upgrade windows to sp2
upgrade windows to sp3
configure outlook mail
test mail
install printer drivers for two networked industrial strength freezer sized konika/minolta systems
install microsoft office
activate office
upgrade office to sp3 service pack
install quickbooks 2004 multi user
activate quickbooks
upgrade and install patches to quickbooks 2004
install ACT!
activate ACT!
upgrade and install patches to ACT!
apply custom mail/client templates to ACT!

All along this, you get to fix the firewall rules to allow this and not that
apply the windows updates that automatic update wants to apply
map drives, remove windows messanger
change IE home page to point to corporate web page
import standard links office uses


BUT!!!!! If you use acronis, then this is the scenario,

Install XP from CD
Install Parallels Tools
Install Acronis
restore system using Acronis
Done.
 
I have installed the Security Suite so far. But where can I find the other tools, which are mentioned in the "why upgrade to 4.0", named Acronis True Image 11 and Acronis Disk Director Suite 10???

Any ideas?

Download them from the same page as the Parallels 4 download.

Launch the installers in Windows VM

Click on the get serial number option (make sure you have registered V4 first or you won't get sent a serial number)

Click on install TrueImage/Disk Director and enter serial when prompted.
 
I have D/L both apps and when I run True Image installer it says to enter the password previously received. Is this the PD4 password? I have received no other password/activation code. The get serial number option lists a URL that does not exist.

Bill
 
Back
Top