Why is there no "External Device" menu item under "Devices" menu?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by charliez, Nov 19, 2015.

1. charliez

charliez Member

I'm having a strange problem, I can't connect _any_ USB devices to my Windows 7 VM. I don't know if it was always this way as it's a fairly new installation (a week or so).

I can plug in a USB drive and I'm prompted whether to connect it to the Mac or the Linux VM but _not_ the Windows 7 VM. When I shutdown the Linux VM, the USB drive auto connects to the Mac.

I can't take control and assign the USB drive to Windows 7 VM because there is no "External Device" menu item.

What would cause that?

Thank you, Caesar.

2. charliez

charliez Member

Also note that this VM was migrated from VirtualBox. I just tested installing brand new from the install DVD and it does have "External Devices" and can capture the USB drive.

How do I get the "External Devices" menu item back? There is a lot of software installed and Windows 7 is already activated in the VM.

3. charliez

charliez Member

One more clue is when using "Action" -> "Configure" -> "Hardware" there is no "USB & Bluetooth" configuration item. Clicking on "+" doesn't list it there either.

4. charliez

charliez Member

I spoke too soon, somehow this time around "USB & Bluetooth" is listed when clicking "+". I added it and now "External Devices" works!
    Hope this helps somebody.