Win 10 upgrade install failure

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RichardR2, Aug 5, 2015.

1. RichardR2

RichardR2 Bit poster

Can anyone help with this problem? I have been trying to upgrade to Windows 10 using the download upgrade tool as recommended by the Parallels knowledge base http://kb.parallels.com/en/123053 and I keep getting a message:
    We couldn't install Windows 10
    We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10.
    0xC1900101 - 0x4000D
    The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation​
    I have tried a couple of remedies specified by Microsoft - disconnecting all USB devices, disconnecting network after the download, burning a (virtual) install dvd, and still no joy.
    Thanks,
    Richard

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Richard,
    Please follow the steps mentioned below and check how it goes.
    1. Download the .iso image file on the Mac side from this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    2. Go to virtual machine configure >> Hardware Tab >> CD/DVD >> Mount the image file by Choosing the image file.
    3. Start the virtual machine >> Open the CD/DVD drive and execute the set-up file.
    Let me know if you have any additional questions.

3. RichardR2

RichardR2 Bit poster

Thanks Dhruba. This appears to have worked, I did have to attempt a couple of times in order to identify the correct version of Windows 10 to use and on my final attempt I disabled downloading updates as part of the installation.

Richard

4. Glad to know! Do you have any other questions?

5. RichardR2

RichardR2 Bit poster

Hi Maria,
    No. I have no more questions thanks. The installation went fine in the end, I would recommend to anyone else to disable updates during the install as it took about a quarter of the time to succeed/fail which really speeds up the attempts. Installing the updates later is then pretty quick.
    Thanks,
    Richard

6. KennyL98

KennyL98 Junior Member

I have tried this repeatedly, both off the ISO mounted as DVD and by creating a boot disk on a thumb drive. The result is the same. I go through the install, then after the first reboot, i get a screen indicating that something was wrong, with several options like returning to windows 7, continuing with another version of windows, etc. No matter what I do, I then get a keyboard selection screen. I choose English, and then a restart and I get the following error:

0xC1900101 - 0x20017
    The installatioin failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the BOOT operation

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

8. KennyL98

KennyL98 Junior Member

Did that

No problems found with chkdsk or sfc. I ran the proggie from a memory stick formatted with the Win 10 installation files. Same thing. Crash after selecting keyboard type.

9. PedroC3

PedroC3 Bit poster

Hi,
    I tried all the proposed solutions (mountdisk, chek disk;etc) to install windows 10 (64 bits) and always get the same:
    0xC1900101 - 0x20017
    The installatioin failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the BOOT operation
    (parallels 11 Updated)

What to do?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  10. Hi please change the following settings:
    1. Actions -> Configuration -> Hardware
    2. Hard Disk -> Advanced settings -> change SATA to IDE 0:1 and check the issue.

11. PedroC3

PedroC3 Bit poster

Hi,

tried and got exactly the same error.
    What to do?

Thanks
    Pedro

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  12. PedroC3

PedroC3 Bit poster

Does anyone have a solution?

13. Guys, if you use the Parallels Desktop 10, please update to the latest build and check the issue, if not, please generate the problem report using this KB and provide us with the report number.

14. PedroC3

PedroC3 Bit poster

Finally I figured it out, WIN must be updated as well even opcional updates, so Parallels 10 latest build plus windows fully updated plus hard Disk to IDE 0:1.

Hope it helps.

Pedro

15. BernardK2

BernardK2 Bit poster

Same problem and I have tried all of the things above. If I try it from the mounted CD drive I get that I should restart windows and try again. If using upgrade assistant then "Something went wrong" Any further or different suggestions?

16. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Unfortunately, the process of upgrading to Windows 10 through upgrade assistant will not work as the free upgrade to Windows 10 is expired. Please contact Microsoft to get a special upgrade link for Windows 10 and keep us posted. We will help you to upgrade to Windows 10.

17. BernardK2

BernardK2 Bit poster

Actually I have WIndows 10 and it is an upgrade to WIndows 10 that doesn't work. I think it is the "Anniversary" upgrade. Is there a phone number I can call or an email address I should use for support?