Win 8 Won't Recognize Apple Keyboard

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DanBarnett, Nov 3, 2012.

1. DanBarnett

DanBarnett Bit poster

Hi, everyone,

I successfully installed Win 8 within Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac, and have updated to the latest Parallels release today (Nov. 3). I'm running the latest version of Mountain Lion on my iMac.

Most everything works, but when it comes time to enter my password, the system doesn't respond to the Apple Bluetooth keyboard (the only keyboard I'm using). The pointer for the Magic Trackpad works fine, but not the keyboard. When I click back to select a user, and select myself, then I get "ENG" in the bottom right of the screen, and two keyboards are listed: the Apple Parallels keyboard, and the US keyboard. Neither choice seems to work.

Then I restart Win 8 and, most usually, the keyboard now works. After I installed the latest Parallels update today, though, a reboot didn't work, so I rebooted again. Finally the keyboard seemed to work but I noticed that it seemed to be on "US keyboard." Strange.

Anyone have the same issue? It seems like this shouldn't be a problem but having to reboot multiple times just to get into Win 8 is rather vexing. And scary.

Thanks for any help!

Dan

2. DLCaudle

DLCaudle Bit poster

Solution Yet?

I have the exact same problem. Has anyone found a solution?

3. Ralf.S

Ralf.S Bit poster

Same problem with the german keyboard and german Windows 8 on Parallels Desktop 8. Parallels work great, but the keyboard is a nightmare. (sample: CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + 7 = backslash)

Regards
    Ralf

4. DanBarnett

DanBarnett Bit poster

UPDATE

Hi, everyone,

So far there are three pages over at Apple support on this very issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4237866?start=0&tstart=0

Lots of creative ideas, but the bottom line is that folks are waiting for Bootcamp 4.1.

Spent over a hour with Parallels tech support today. The CS rep was able to get me into Windows, but when I rebooted I was once again stuck at login.

Not-so-cheerily,

Dan