Win10x86 crashes after updates KB3172985 and KB3176493

NickC2

Bit poster
Win10x86 running happily in Parallels v11.2.1 (on macbook pro).
Attempts to let Windows update (via Windows KB3172985 ~ mid July, or the current one KB3176493 late August) both result in the same thing:
  • the upgrade/update appears to be installed ok - Windows does its normal thing, and reboots ..
  • and the normal startup/login splash screen, appears. All looks OK
  • after logging in, the VM immediately shuts down saying "Stopping...". The usual Parallels "Critical error" report dialog appears very briefly and then closes automatically - so you cannot get to the "See Details..." button, etc.,.
After these problems with KB3172985 in mid July, I managed to start the Win VM in safe mode and uninstall the update, and the VM started then OK.
This time (just now with KB3176493) I've kept a backup of the VM immediately before the upgrade and I'll just go back to that.
But, my problem here is that it seems that I cannot apply any Windows Updates at the moment, at all. Anyone got any bright ideas how to get this to work properly? .. so I can go back to letting Windoze update itself
Thanks for your help
Cenika.
 
Figuring this might be an *issue* related to prior version of Parallels, I forked out the upgrade $$ to get Parallels Version 12.0.1 (41296), and then tried to update my Win10 install again (just 20 mins ago now), which aimed to install these:
  • Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3176493).
  • Security Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3172729).
  • Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 - August 2016 (KB890830).
.. and I get EXACTLY the same behaviour. The (apparently) upgraded VM instance gets the login splash screen OK, and after supplying login username & password it then immediately goes into "Stopping ..." and shuts down. There is a definite bug or incompatibility between Parallels and these latest updates from Microsoft.

I have not had any response to my earlier message yet (am I really the only one with this problem?). How do I get this reported and resolved?
Welcome any advice someone might have out there.
 
I've logged a support ticket with Parallels and will report back whatever I find out ... in due course
 
Well, that was useless. The Parallels support guy started up a LogMeIn shared session to have a poke around in my machine's setup and after a few minutes of looking at the VM setup/config and then restarting the VM to see the behaviour (as I described it above) .. he quickly arrived at:
Parallels Support Tech (PS): Your Windows installation is corrupted, would you like me to download the ISO from Microsoft to do a reinstall?
Me: What? .. you want to do a cold install of Windoze from scratch?
PS: Oh, don't worry, we will keep all your files. But you will have to reinstall all your applications!
Me: You're kidding? That's your recommendation?
PS: Yes, your machine is corrupted.
Me: Well, actually, if I happen to log into this VM using Windows Safe Mode, and I uninstall the Windows Update using the normal windows process, it comes up perfectly well, returning the machine to a perfectly functioning state. That is not the hallmark of a corrupted system. That is the hallmark of an incompatible update.
PS: Your VM is corrupted. Reinstallation is the only option.
Me: And the Windows license key .. how do you suggest I re-activate that / get that enabled.
PS: Oh, just call MS general support and explain that the machine won't start. They'll have to give you another one.
Me: And will you sit through the 20 hours of stupid hurdles that MS places on any attempt to call them for me? ... or do you suggest I just suck that up and then endure a good extra day of reinstallation of Windows and then all the applications? You cannot be seriously telling me that that is your solution?
PS: Yes.
Me: Thanks. Have a nice day. [Hang-up] Drongo!
 
Back
Top