Windows 10 & 11 both dead after upgrading to v18.1

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by HongleiW, Nov 2, 2022.

1. HongleiW

HongleiW Bit poster

I upgraded my Parallels Desktop from 18.0 to 18.1.
    Windows 10 & 11 both got their tools automatically, and got BSOD after first reboot.
    (Windows 7 still work like a charm though.)

Attached Files:

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hi All,
    The issue is caused by the fact that nested virtualization is enabled for your virtual machine using Apple hypervisor. This scenario is not supported in Parallels Desktop.
    Our engineers are aware of the issue and are working on it. As a workaround, please perform the steps below:
    1. Shut down/stop your virtual machine (Actions > Shut down/Stop).
    2. Open the configuration of the virtual machine > Hardware > CPU & Memory > Advanced > switch to Parallels hypervisor.
    3. Start your virtual machine.

HongleiW likes this.
  3. HongleiW

HongleiW Bit poster

Safe mode is OK.
    I've tried to uninstall Parallels Tools under safe mode but no luck.

4. HongleiW

HongleiW Bit poster

I tried to change supervisor from Apple to Parallels. It prompted me to reboot so that the kernel extension can be installed.
    After a long long reboot (even I thought my Intel MacBook Pro got dead), Windows 11 guest goes back to life now! :)

5. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

You have created a ticket to technical support, we will contact you by email to further investigate the issue you are experiencing.

6. ToddB7

ToddB7 Bit poster

I confirmed the same behavior after installing 18.1.0. Booting into Windows 10 hangs w/ the Apple Hypervisor. After switching to the Parallels Hypervisor, everything works fine.

HongleiW likes this.
  7. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello!
    Thank you! Would you downgrade Parallels Desktop to 18.0.3 and check if the issue remains? The 18.0.3 image can be downloaded from here.
    Please note that during the installation Parallels Desktop will suggest you to install 18.1.0, please decline this proposal nad proceed with the 18.0.3 installation. Looking forward to hearing from you.

8. Mikhail Ushakov

Best Answer
    Hi All,
    The issue is caused by the fact that nested virtualization is enabled for your virtual machine using Apple hypervisor. This scenario is not supported in Parallels Desktop.
    Our engineers are aware of the issue and are working on it. As a workaround, please perform the steps below:
    1. Shut down/stop your virtual machine (Actions > Shut down/Stop).
    2. Open the configuration of the virtual machine > Hardware > CPU & Memory > Advanced > switch to Parallels hypervisor.
    3. Start your virtual machine.

HongleiW likes this.