Windows 10 activation problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AnthonyC2, Nov 1, 2015.

1. AnthonyC2

AnthonyC2 Junior Member

I have installed Win 10 under Bootcamp. It was activated without problem.
    After a while, I decided to install Parallels Desktop 11 and install the Win 10 using this PD 11. After the installation, I am unable to activate the Win 10 under this VM. I contacted MS for advice. They replied that even under Parallels Desktop VM, I need extra Win 10 license. The I contacted PD for solution. Parallels asked me to import the Win 10 under Bootcamp. Then I followed this instruction. Once I imported the Win 10 from Bootcamp, I cannot start the Windows under Parallels Desktop. I got a dark screen only. So I reboot my iMac to Bootcamp to start the Windows. When I check the activation status, the status become 'not activated'. The real problem is I cannot even activate my Windows 10 under the Bootcamp! Help Help Help

2. AnthonyC2

AnthonyC2 Junior Member

Microsoft help desk suggested me to uninstall parallels desk, down convert Windows 10 to 7 in the bootcamp, then activate the Windows 7. The product key I have is for Windows 7, I cannot activate a Windows 10 using this key directly.
    The new Windows is different from the previous version, it would keep track the hardware we installed the Windows. The VM created by parallels desktop would be treated as a new machine. Even is is activated by using a different key, every time you use the parallels desktop, Microsoft would treat it as a new machine and need to be activated again. They said this is unresolved problem with parallels desktop.
    Too bad!

3. AlastairD

AlastairD Bit poster

I have the same problem with VMWare. I ended up rebuilding the machine and removing the virtual machine. I am looking for a solution whereby I can boot via Bootcamp or a virtual machine. Doesn't everybody want to do this as there are times when you want the speeed and response that a direct boot provides. You don't want to go through the activation nightmare every time you switch. Does anybody have any input as I want to buy the product but not end up with hours of work. Thanks