Windows 10 ARM BSOD on install

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by BernardG3, Nov 7, 2021.

1. BernardG3

BernardG3 Bit poster

I've assembled a Windows 10 ARM build from UUPdump.net. Every time I attempt to install I get a BSOD ("system thread exception not handled"). I cannot use Windows 11 as it does not have IIS and I need to run a Cold Fusion development server.

Any ideas?

Macbook Pro 16" M1 Pro

Attached Files:

2. SamK13

SamK13 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue using the official windows 10 arm iso "SW_DVD9_WIN_PRO_10_21H1.5_64ARM_ENGLISH_PRO_ENT_EDU_N_MLF_X22-88704.iso"
    MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) M1 MAX
    Parallels Version 17.1.0 (51516)

3. BernardG3

BernardG3 Bit poster

This is the build I was working with:
    Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H1 (19043.1320)
    Build number: 19043.1320

I don't see any dev channel builds for windows 10 -- elsewhere I've seen they all ended recently.

4. HaofeiY

HaofeiY Bit poster

MarcP7 likes this.
  5. ChrisR30

ChrisR30 Bit poster

I did successfully set up a VM with Windows 11 using MichaelH63's method. Thank you. That is really great. However, a program that is crucial to me doesn't seem to like it, so I'm trying to see if W10 will work. Whenever I try to install that, I get a message that says "The Secure Boot feature prevented the operating system from starting"

It goes on to advise, "Secure Boot found unauthorised changes to the firmware, operating system, or UEFI drivers. To manage Secure Boot settings, go to the virtual machine configuration settings, click Hardware, and expand Advanced Settings.

But I can't find anything in settings to allow it to override this, and am not sure I should.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

6. mmika

mmika Pro

You need disable (temporary) secure boot as described here.
    Or choose "Customize" and remove TPM from VM config before installation start. You can add it after the first reboot or after windows installation completed.

7. ChrisR30

ChrisR30 Bit poster

OK. I did get it set up. Thank you.
    I thought I saw someone saying, though, that it was buggy. I can't find that now, so here's my experience:
    • It says right off the bat that it's an expired build and I need to get a newer one, which I'd do if one were available, but as others have noted, the only ones I found previously on uupdump were in that disallowed 19000 series.
    • It doesn't see my wireless anyway
    • It freezes periodically.
    I think I'm going to try again with building a new vm from scratch, because I do think I screwed up the networking, but, given those warnings I was getting about it being an expired build, is it worth it, or am I too late to make this build work?

8. heinsk

heinsk Bit poster

@MichaelH63 Thanks for the Link after 3 not working Builds with the same Error now finally your linked Build works also for me still in September 22, is it possible to update after the working install or should i stay on the old one?

9. VladimirT3

VladimirT3 Bit poster

Ca
    Can't someone upload iso file instead of these dumps. The problem is that in many of them, script does not work as the download links are dead.
    Also to find correct version which won't cause BSOD is a pain in the a***. So in stead of giving suggestions of install windows 11 as this works (obviously for some of us, we need 10 to run with a reason), please if you have binary iso, upload it to some cloud so we can download and speed things up.

Thank you in advance

10. VladimirT3

VladimirT3 Bit poster

I found ISO which works on macos Ventura, Parallels 18 and on M2. It is the last version of the Windows 10 Insider preview.

the download link you can find it here:
    https://mega.nz/file/164mWBjA#ZjDj532Ljkk4GqwEfHT04DP32x7yviWwpbJHuT5qJ08

So you don't need to waste hours on searching like me.
    Brgds

Elit2 likes this.
  11. Elit2

Elit2 Bit poster

12. MartynB2

MartynB2 Bit poster

Can anyone who downloaded the working ISO above re-share it!? The link has died, and it looks like it was quite recent?

13. VaalaG

VaalaG Bit poster

I am also desperate for Windows 10 ARM on my M2 Ventura Mac. Can someone please repost a valid download link to the file? The above link doesn't exist anymore.
    Cheers!

14. VladimirT3

VladimirT3 Bit poster

In general, I have the installation somewhere in my data-store back home in Croatia in my apartment, but there are two problems. 1st There is no one who can get those drives and currently I am living in and working in Germany, so I won't be getting home before 22nd of Dec as we have project to finish before Christmas, which I guess it is way to late for you. Sorry man, but I don't know how to help you :-(

15. VladimirT3

VladimirT3 Bit poster

there is one possibility. if you can't find this installation, I am very sure that news leech sites have them. They have insane retention of data. I found stuff which are long gone from "normal" web servers (this sound quite stupid to say, as news leech are also servers), but you get the point.

There is also thing, that there are many groups so finding it, it won't be easy, plus each access to news leech servers are costing some bucks.
    They do offer last time I checked trial period which for you should be more than fine.

Try this one:
    https://www.newsleecher.com/

otherwise, contact me by the end of December and I will do a re-upload somewhere.

16. VaalaG

VaalaG Bit poster

No problem, don't worry about it. Thanks for getting back to me. I'm having good results with Windows 11 ARM, only compatibility issue I'm having is with my Logitech G29 racing setup. Tried everything apart from installing it on windows 10. I'll figure it out eventually.

Cheers
    Vaala