Windows 10 Creators: can boot, but with problems

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Ed-Hawco, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Ed-Hawco

Ed-Hawco Member

After installing Windows 10 Creators update on two different machines, similar Windows boot problems occur. I have read the KB article (http://kb.parallels.com/ca/124151 but both of my machines are using versions newer than the fix suggested there.

Machine 1: Macbook Air, MacOS Sierra 10.12.5, Parallels DT 12 for Mac Business Edition (12.2.1; 41615).
    Machine 2: Mac Mini, MacOS Sierra 10.12.5, Parallels DT 12 for Mac (12.2.1; 41615).

PROBLEMS

Machine 1:
    • Disk checking. As Windows begins booting, and before the first splash screen, I get the message "To skip disk checking, press any key ... <countdown>." When I let it go into disk checking it displays a message about repairing a disk. The message shows for less than one second so I can't see fully what it says, but it's something like "Repairing \\?\SystemPartition" Then goes to problem 2, below. (Disk checking problem does NOT occur on subsequent re-boots unless Parallels has been shut down and restarted. Then the cycle begins again.)
    • Stall on boot. Windows boots but stalls on the first splash screen; it does not present the login screen. If I reboot via the Parallels menu bar, it works correctly on the second attempt. This occurs almost every time I boot from a fresh startup of Parallels, but never on subsequent boots.

Machine 2:
    • Stall on boot. (Exact same scenario as with Machine 1).
    None of this is catastrophic, as I CAN get into the machines. But it is highly annoying. Are other people experiencing these problems?

2. acad007

acad007 Bit poster

3. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi Ed-Hawco,
    You can also refer this article for steps to disable Fast Boot and check.

5. takerukoushirou

takerukoushirou Bit poster

I have the same problem after upgrading from the latest version of Parallels Desktop 12 to Parallels Desktop 13 release.

I have two VMs running Windows 10 Pro with Creators Update installed. Both are used regularly and worked fine. Since the update to Parallels Desktop 13, one of the VMs shows exactly the same symptoms as Ed-Hawco described and disabling Fast Start-up circumvents the issue.
    The other VM is still working fine with Fast Start-up enabled, and two other VMs I am currently upgrading to Windows 10 Creators Update have not shown any issues so far.

I additionally had the problem, immediately after the PD 13 upgrade, that the VM with issues booted into a black screen. Resetting it eventually brought it to the current state, that was even before Parallels Tools were upgraded. My second VM did start normally, but updating Parallels Tools took about 20 minutes; it was incredibly slow (by now it works at normal speeds again).
    If the VM is semi-hibernated from shutting down with Fast Start-up enabled, it hangs before the login mask is shown. If then reset or Fast Start-up disabled, it boots normally and shows the login screen as it did before upgrading to PD 13.