Windows 10 Dock Helper consuming bandwidth when network is "disconnected"

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JoshuaJ4, Apr 28, 2018.

1. JoshuaJ4

JoshuaJ4 Bit poster

In Parallels Desktop Version 12.2.1 (41615), I regularly select "disconnect" in the network options for Windows 10 (I select this through Parallels, of course). However, when I look at Activity Monitor on my Mac, I see that "Windows 10 Dock Helper" continues using data at a nice clip. Is there a way to stop Parallels from connecting to the Internet at all? (I've also set Parallels NOT to download updates automatically.)

This is important for me, because I live in a country where I have to pay for my Internet by data consumed -- and it's also slow -- so I try to do all I can to reduce background data consumption.

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @JoshuaJ4 , once you have selected "Disconnect" Windows virtual machine will not longer be able to use the internet on Windows virtual machine. You can go to Configure > Security > Isolate Windows and Mac and check if that helps.

3. JoshuaJ4

JoshuaJ4 Bit poster

Thanks for the quick reply! When I isolate, Activity Monitor resets the Windows 10 Dock Helper item to 0 for packets received. But in the last couple minutes it has already risen above 1mb and continues to rise steadily. So this does not resolve the problem. (Incidentally, even if this solution worked, it would be undesirable because I use file sharing between Mac and Windows constantly.)

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

5. JoshuaJ4

JoshuaJ4 Bit poster

Again, thanks for the quick reply. Here's the Report ID: 253769714. (Note that when the report was generated, network was set as "disconnected" but I'd turned isolation off, since it didn't make a difference. At the time this report was generated, Activity Monitor continued to report that Windows 10 Dock Helper was using bandwidth.)

6. JoshuaJ4

JoshuaJ4 Bit poster

Hi! I'm wondering whether anyone could help me on this. Parallels continues consuming significant amounts of bandwidth, making it difficult for me to do my work. Thanks!