Windows 10 Freezes after Installing tools for Version 13.1.0 (43108) build

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JimM10, Oct 5, 2017.

1. JimM10

JimM10 Bit poster

Just installed the latest release and when I start my Windows 10 vm and it automatically installs parallel tools the Vm freezes with the windows logo on restart. Help!!

2. NevilleB

NevilleB Bit poster

I am having same problem.

Hope a fix is found very soon, as I have critical work on my Windows VM...

3. SergV

SergV Bit poster

Same problem. Disabling nested virtualization in Hardware/CPU/Advanced helped.
    Now i can start and login into Win 10.
    But, of course, Hyper-V is not working ... and as a result local docker too :(
    Hope there will be a fix, ireally need docker containers in windows and hate using docker toolbox

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @JimM10 , please try Actions > Reset and check if that helps.

5. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @SerhiyV , Thank you for letting us know about this. Please try resetting your virtual machine and let us know if that helps.

6. NevilleB

NevilleB Bit poster

I have tried the above suggestions, but they have not resolved my problem.

7. JeffP7

JeffP7 Bit poster

I'm also hosed. Stuck on the boot screen with the Windows logo.
    I should know better than to install an update right away.

8. JayA4

JayA4 Bit poster

I'm a big "me too" on this issue, which also happened when I upgraded to 13.0.1. Booted fine the very first time, then after reinstalling Parallels Tools it repeatedly gets stuck at the login screen. It was never clear to me how/why that eventually resolved itself last time, and it sure isn't doing so this time. None of the suggestions that have been repeated in this thread or elsewhere in this forum seem to work.

9. JohnF13

JohnF13 Bit poster

It has been determined for a fact Parallels 13.1 update fails to load Windows 10 when Parallel's "nested virtualization" feature is enabled. Rollback to Parallels 13.0 until a fix is released.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  10. TrondK

TrondK Bit poster

I have the same problem after upgrade of Parallels tools within the existing macOS Sierra virtual machine. I've tried all of the above tips and also stopping the upgrade of parallels tools, but after restart the VM hangs again..

11. NevilleB

NevilleB Bit poster

How does one roll back?

12. BerndS4

BerndS4 Bit poster

"Me too..." - disabling 'nested virtualzation' in VM settings makes my Win 10 Pro VM work again...

13. JohnF13

JohnF13 Bit poster

I'm requesting Parallel's to implement "rollback update" feature as a safety measure in case their future updates causes destruction. To rollback, contact Parallel's support immediately.

14. JayA4

JayA4 Bit poster

Rolling back to 13.0.1 was my solution also, for now. But I did also run into the identical problem when first updating to 13.0, so it's now got me leery of the entire upgrade/update process.

As for nested virtualization, I'm not running the Pro Edition and don't have that feature, so that hasn't been the issue in my case.

15. TorA

TorA Bit poster

I'm also stuck on the boot screen with the Windows logo...
    This is not the first time a Parallels update destroys my installation.. Do they actually test the software before releasing it?

16. jschrade

jschrade Junior Member

I also need this to work as well. How do I install an older version of tools so I can use docker in my windows instance?

17. jschrade

jschrade Junior Member

Does anyone have a link to the older version of Parallels?

18. royer

royer Bit poster

Hi, When we have a solution of our problem. I have Windows on parallel and my windows server run on hyper v so how i can run my vm if nested virtualization is disable

19. ArvinB1

ArvinB1 Bit poster

WHAT THE FREAK!!!! You broke Hyper-V and thus all my docker containers are now dead in the water!

FIX THIS!!!! (Don't you even test???)

20. JohnF13

JohnF13 Bit poster

I don't think it's possible through Parallels to run a virtual machine without "nested virtualization." I recommend downgrading to Parallels 13.0 and re-enable "nested virtualization" until a fix is released.