Windows 10 is unusable & can't reinstall Parallel Tools

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ClickLady, Nov 16, 2015.

1. ClickLady

ClickLady Junior Member

Windows 10. Parallels 10. Both up-to-date. Had been using both successfully for several weeks. On the Mac side, OS X, Yosemite. iMac 27-inch. Late 2012, with 24 GB RAM.

This morning, the sound disappeared on the Windows side. After trying several troubleshooting steps, I decided to reinstall Parallel Tools. PT died in the middle. I rebooted and now cannot work at all in Windows.

• I can see and move a single Windows 10 window (which seems frozen in the state it was in earlier), but when I try to mouse over the Control panel that sits on the top of the Win 10 window, the cursor disappears.
    • I have rebooted several times again and tried several times to reinstall Parallel Tools. I can get through the dialog box, but then nothing happens.
    • I was able to use Actions > Reset and reboot. That gave me the cursor back briefly on Windows, but the first time I clicked, it disappeared.
    • Under the Parallels Tools menu, Enter Coherence is greyed out, and Exit Coherence is not an option.
    • I can use the keyboard. For instance, CMD+E brings up File Explorer.

I do have a support ticket in: Parallels #2200512. But currently Windows is 100% un-useable to me, so I'd be very grateful for help from someone here. TIA.

Sheila

2. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi ClickLady,
    Please try to follow this article and run the fix, then try to install Parallels Tools-It should work.

3. ClickLady

ClickLady Junior Member

Hi Sylvester, Thanks for replying.

That article says it applies to Windows 7 Starter Edition but I'm using Windows 10. Is that still what I should do?

BTW, I have also shut down Parallels, moved the Parallels app to the trash, shut down the Mac, then downloaded Parallels 10 and installed it. That hasn't fixed the problem.

4. ClickLady

ClickLady Junior Member