Windows 10 keeps asking for activation

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by cliffe, Jan 29, 2016.

1. cliffe

cliffe Bit poster

Windows 10 keeps asking for activation- after previous activation and now says I have exceeded number of PCs running it.

have others had this problem and what is their solution?

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Cliffe, we suggest you to contact Microsoft for better solution for the issue you reported.

3. TylerB1

TylerB1 Bit poster

Is this a Boot Camp setup that you created a Parallels VM for? My native Boot Camp partition is activated but since it recognizes the Parallels VM as different hardware, it won't activate when using Parallels... With Windows 8.1 I could call Windows support and get both activated but that doesn't seem possible with Windows 10 :( Honestly, I think we might all be in trouble with the windows 10 digital entitlement activation issues.

4. AegisI

AegisI Member

Hello Friends
    Installation about windows 10 activation source.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, you may try this article to fix Windows 10 activation issue and let us know how it works.

6. TylerB1

TylerB1 Bit poster

Didn't work for me... it's an issue with Windows thinking my Parallels VM is a different device and not applying the Windows 10 digital entitlement.

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Tyler,
    Please start your Windows and to start Product Activation:
    Go to Start, then select Settings, choose Update & security, and then select Activation.
    If your device is not activated, the Activate by phone option will be available.

8. TylerB1

TylerB1 Bit poster

Attached is the Windows activation screen that I am presented when in Windows 10 on a Parallels VM. When I reboot and start up Windows 10 within native Boot Camp, the activation screen says "activated with digital entitlement". So I'm activated in Boot Camp natively but not when Parallels is running Boot Camp as a VM.

It must be recognizing both instances of that partition as different devices. Before, with 8.1, I could activate both through phone activation but not with digital entitlement.

Please help :(

Attached Files:

9. marko2

marko2 Bit poster

Paul, I too have the same issue. I already had Windows installed via Bootcamp and activated prior to purchasing Parallels. When I called Microsoft for activation they told me it is Parallels software that is the problem and they cannot do anything.
    This issue needs to be resolved ASAP as the activation window stops apps working as intended within Windows. It totally defeats the purpose of purchasing your product.

10. marko2

marko2 Bit poster

Thanks but that is not feasible. I already am at Windows 10 in Bootcamp and registered. There is no way I am downgrading to Windows 8 only to re-upgrade and register. I am hoping there can be some sort of pass through of the legal activation so we are not forced to do this. I need to use the Windows image daily for work and was hoping to be able to use OSX too. Support, please advise how to proceed?

11. David50

David50 Bit poster

If you troubleshoot the activation and click the "learn more" link, it will take you to Microsoft's website. From there, if you chat with a virtual agent, they will ask you for your error code. From there they will help you find your installation ID (different from your product key) and they will have you enter it. Then, attempt to troubleshoot the activation again. This activated my virtual machine without having to go back into my bootcamp partition. Wether this is a permanent or temporary fix, who knows, but things are running fine for the time being.