Windows 10 metered connection

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JonathanP3, Jun 15, 2016.

1. JonathanP3

JonathanP3 Bit poster

Hello

Does anybody know if there is a way to set wifi locations on the Mac as Metered Connections in Windows 10.
    Because the wifi isn't directly available in Windows, I am not sure if it is possible to do it on that side.

Any ideas?

Thank you

2. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @JonathanP3,
    The native network adaptors will not be available to your virtual machines and Parallels tools will virtualize the required drives. This is the reason, you cannot find the actual wifi network on your Windows virtual machine. This means, your virtual machine will connect to the same network as you Mac host. Check this article for the available network modes.

3. JonathanP3

JonathanP3 Bit poster

Hi, thank you for your answer.

I am aware that Windows doesn't use the native adaptors, and the network is working super.
    What I am asking is, can I restrict Windows from Downloading updates, depending on what Network I am on.

This feature is available in Windows, by setting a network to "Metered Connection", but because Parallels hides the network, this does not work.

Is there a way for Parallels to set the Metered Connection on Windows, based on what network my Mac is connected to, or does Parallels have some other functionality I could use to achieve something similar.

Basically what I want.
    If I am connected to Wifi-1, Windows should be allowed to Install updates.
    If I am connected to Wifi-2, Windows should not be allowed to Install updates.

4. JonathanP3

JonathanP3 Bit poster

5. serv

serv Forum Maven

6. JonathanP3

JonathanP3 Bit poster

Hi
    I have disabled the service, thank you.

Allowing Parallels to set up a metered connection, or automatically disable and readable Windows updates on different networks would be an amazing feature.

7. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Thanks for your reply.
    Please feel free to reach us anytime.

8. JosefS2

JosefS2 Bit poster

Here is how to enable Metered Connection in Windows 10

1:- Click on start key and click "settings" or press windows key + i to directly open settings. This will open the System Settings app.

2:- Go to the "Network & Internet" section. In the Wi-Fi section, you will observe the name of the network you are currently connected with.

3:- To change the current network as a Metered Connection, click on "Advanced options" at the bottom of the section.

Change the "Set as Metered Connection" to "ON" by toggling over it.

4:- Now, the Wi-Fi network will work as Metered Connection.

Source:- http://merabheja.com/enable-metered-connection-in-windows-10/