Windows 10 Non-Genuine Copy Warning ???

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PhilipL6, Mar 23, 2020.

1. PhilipL6

PhilipL6 Bit poster

Hi Guys,

Just installed Parallels Desktop for Mac and using Bootcamp (Windows 10) .... Everything working as expected - except when I enter Windows, I get the famous 'Activate Windows now' dialog stating that I'm running non-genuine copy of Windows (Not True as my Windows 10 P{ro is a Licensed Copy)... So question: What to do or should I just ignore and go along doing my business???
    Thanks!!!

2. Hello, you can try steps from this KB article and share your results with us.

3. vaibhavk2

vaibhavk2 Bit poster

1. Open control panel.
    2. Go to windows update section.
    3. Click on view installed updates.
    4. After loading all installed updates, check for update "KB971033" and uninstall.
    5. Restart your PC.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2020
  4. PhilipL6

PhilipL6 Bit poster

5. PhilipL6

PhilipL6 Bit poster

Good Morning Guys,
    I appreciate the response that everyone has submitted but 'No Cigars'... My Windows10 Pro was installed and Activated months ago and is a working copy... I can Boot directly into the BootCamp partition and 'Life Is Good'... Yesterday I decided to try Parallels for Mac Basic again (prior user from 2 years ago)...So when I startWindows 10 Pro through Parallels, everything looks Ok until I go to Windows 10 Settings Page (to check for update and the like)... Once System Settings Page Opens, I get the notification that the SW Key is being used on another machine and Microsoft prompts me to 'Purchase a Genuine' copy of Windows 10 yet again - Not Going to do That!!! So there isn't the option of activating Windows 10 again except buying a new copy - Not Going to Happen... Even if I did, shouldI boot directly into Windows 10 by manually selecting the partition, Windows will again prompt me for a new SW Key - an endless cycle... I checked my update history to find KB971033 - not on the Update History so uninstall isn't an option here - well that's what it appears... Sooo what to do now??? Worst case serene, forget Parallels and continue to Boot Directly into the BootCamp partition ):

6. NathanielH

NathanielH Bit poster

An excellent suggestion!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2020
  7. PeterF18

PeterF18 Bit poster

just installed Parallels 16 on Macbook Pro and used existing Windows 10 Pro Bootcamp as VM.
    This does not work at all. I spent 3 hours to get my bootcamp activated again.
    What is the procedure when Bootcamp Windows linked to a Microsoft account has been activated via a digital licence?
    To me integrating an existing bootcamp is just not workable, and a waste of time and effort.

8. Hello, did you try this?

9. PeterF18

PeterF18 Bit poster

Hi Maria,
    thank you for your reply.
    Yes, and of course I couldn't reactivate the bootcamp windows.
    Activation by phone used to be an automated function, this is not available anymore (in Germany).
    Calling MS support is not really an option as it takes hours to get through.
    There needs to be a simpler solution for this to be viable.

10. You can try these instructions as a workaround.

PeterF18 likes this.
  11. PeterF18

PeterF18 Bit poster

thank you Maria, this reads as a good instruction.

I have somehow managed to activate both bootcamp as well as in bootcamp parallels vm (before I got this tip from you).

I was able to activate bootcamp parallels vm, and then had real problems getting bootcamp itself re-activated.
    In the end I did try an inplace reinstall of the latest Windows 10 pro version (keeping settings, data and apps), that seems to have done the trick.
    Can't be 100% sure though, because I tried other things, and apparently activation can take some time.

Checked bootcamp parallels vm yesterday, bingo! It was indeed still activated, and now I can use use either.

Thank you for your help.

12. Thanks a lot for sharing your results.
    Glad to hear that everything works OK. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.