Windows 10 Pro Guest - Horrible and Inconsistent Performance

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by danfratamico, Aug 15, 2016.

1. danfratamico

danfratamico Member

I have Parallels v11.2.1 and am running Windows 10 Pro with decent specs on my iMac 5K 27" with 16 GB memory and Core i5 3.2 GHz. I have played around with the settings way too much and can't seem to get it working 100%. There are some times where my VM works flawlessly, but that only lasts a few seconds. For example, bringing up the start menu is very laggy and can take up to 10 seconds....sometimes it is instant. Opening applications like Google Chrome takes many seconds to a minute. Parallel Tools is installed and is up to date. The VM has real-time optimization turned off, 4 processors, 4 GB memory, 512 MB graphics memory. Any help is appreciated!

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi DanielF1,
    Try to reduce the processors allocated to VM to 2.
    You can refer to this article for step by step instructions.

3. danfratamico

danfratamico Member

Hi Ajith, I actually reduced it to 1 after posting this thread and it did seem to improve slightly, but not much. I'm starting to think maybe Parallels doesn't play well with the Fusion drive, even more so because mine is the model with only 24 GB SSD. Also, my processor is an i5, but doesn't support Hyper Threading. Could that cause my VM to be extremely slow?

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi DanielF1,
    Check under VM Configuration-> Options -> Optimization if you have an option Enable Adaptive Hypervisor. If you have that option enable it and check.

5. danfratamico

danfratamico Member

That option was already enabled.

6. danfratamico

danfratamico Member

I seem to have solved my issue. What I ended up doing was deleting my existing virtual HDD, creating a new one, installing Windows 10 with a USB formatted in UEFI GPT mode, and reinstalled Windows. Seems to be working very fast now.

7. danfratamico

danfratamico Member

The issue is back again... Installing Windows with EFI only helped for the first couple of reboots, then it was unbearably slow again. I am running PD12 now and it is still very slow. I need some additional help on this ASAP as my VM is not useable in its current state.

8. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

Could you please post all of your Current VM settings and a snapshot of your activity monitor and the windows Task manager Performance tab when this is happening. I will try to help all that i can. Thanks

9. danfratamico

danfratamico Member

I have attached a ZIP of what you requested. The VM seems to be working faster now, but I'm 100% sure if I leave it running for an hour or so it will slow down. What I saw is that my Sophos antivirus is peaking my CPU at 100%. However, even when it does this my VM isn't terribly slow, so I'm not sure if we can deduce that's causing the slowness.

The 4MB ZIP was too large to upload on here, so here's the link to it: https://ufile.io/bfc18