Windows 10 resolution stuck at 1024x768

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by XericD, Sep 27, 2016.

1. XericD

XericD Bit poster

I installed Windows 10 (64 bit) under Parallels 12 and Mac OS X 10.11.6.

My Windows VM resolution is stuck at 1024x768 and the menu to change this is greyed out. I have tried installing twice with the same results.

2. MikeN3

MikeN3 Bit poster

I am having the same problem - did you ever find a solution? It is more or less unusable with so few pixels to work with

3. XericD

XericD Bit poster

Yes. You need to install the Parallels Tools. After that, the options for higher resolutions became available.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  4. You're right, Parallels Tools are needed.
    And what about your issue? Has it been resolved?

5. Dirkv3

Dirkv3 Bit poster

I installed Windows 10 Enterprise (64 bit) under Parallels 13 and Mac OS X 10.13.1.
    My Windows VM resolution is stuck at 1024x768 and the menu to change this is greyed out.
    Parallels Tools for Mac are installed and allow to change resolution but that only effects OS X. Windows still is stuck at 1024x768.
    In Parallels Control Center under Graphics the Resolution is set to "Optimal for Retina display".
    Parallels Toolbox in Windows don't show any option to change screen resolution.
    What to do?
    Thanks in advance for advice.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @Dirkv3, the issue might have occurred due to the process responsible for dynamic resolution ('dynres') hasn't been started properly. Please back up the virtual machine and follow the steps suggested in this article to fix the issue.

7. Dirkv3

Dirkv3 Bit poster

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for your help.
    Just before I wanted to follow your solution I had a friend over who found that the Parallels Tools Installation process had not been fully completed. He just knew where to look because it also happened to him. After reinstallation screen resolutions can now be changed in OS X and Windows 10.
    Thanks again.

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @Dirkv3, you're welcome! Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help! Thanks!

9. AlexandrR

AlexandrR Bit poster

Здравствуйте, та же проблема. Установлен windows 10 и все хорошо с разрешением. А вот установленная виртуальная машина мак (10.14), выдает лишь 1024 × 768. "Toolbox" не позволяет менять разрешение. Помогите пожалуйста разобраться с данной проблемой

10. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello AlexandrR. Parallels Tools and Parallels Toolbox are two different things. You must install Parallels Tools.