windows 10 screen is red

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AlexanderS52, Apr 24, 2023.

1. AlexanderS52

AlexanderS52 Bit poster

During boot and windows loading screen everything looks ok. After Windows is loaded and during windows installation(which completed automatically) the screen turns solid red. I'm using a ISO of Windows 10 downloaded directly from Microsoft. I am using the latest Version of Parallels and macOS Ventura 13.3.1 Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 23.42.15.png

2. AlexanderS52

AlexanderS52 Bit poster

Now I tried with Windows 7 and the red screen came right after installing Parallels Tools. Any suggestions?

3. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    If you are facing an issue with Windows, for us to further investigate the technical issue, kindly provide us with the following information:
    1. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.

Thanks

4. Andrew Hawken

Andrew Hawken Bit poster

@AlexanderS52

Hi, I have the same issue. Have you been able to resolve it? I also wonder... Are you like me, running macOS Ventura 13.3.1 on "Unsupported Hardware"? For example, I have the Intel Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015 iMac that is only officially supported by Apple as far as macOS BigSur. I went on to run macOS Monterey and then macOS Ventura using OpenCore Legacy Patcher (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/)
    "I think", previous to macOS Ventura 13.3.1 (i.e. macOS Ventura 13.X), my Windows 10/11 VMs were running fine. I've had Ventura since it was released and have used my Windows 10/11 VMs since then.

If you (or anyone else) are like me, I suspect it's the age-old issue of using the latest version of an operating system (supported or otherwise) with an old hardware driver that hasn't been updated, because the vendor (sorry, not AMD/Nvidia this time, but Apple) have not updated the graphics driver for the applicable graphics card in macOS Ventura 13.3.1 because it's unsupported hardware. OpenCore Legacy Patcher injects the applicable graphics card drivers back in, but OpenCore Legacy Patcher doesn't provide an updated version, they just provide a modified working version of the latest release available made to work on the version of macOS you are trying to use. That's why there are "Macs" that OpenCore Legacy Patcher doesn't work well on or works with caveats or not at all because the available drivers are just not able to be made to work with the newer operating systems.

My wife has an Intel Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2021 iMac with Ventura 13.3.1 and Parallels. Her Windows 10/11 VMs are running just fine, probably because Ventura supports her hardware!

Just my 2c. Maybe I'll be wrong and Parallels will release an update that resolves the problem.

@Pramesh Boodadoo I have submitted the technical data. The 9-digit report ID is: 423828627

Regards,

Andrew

5. Andrew Hawken

Andrew Hawken Bit poster

Hi again,

I discovered this forum post, yesterday. Did the trick for now.

https://forum.parallels.com/threads...op-revert-to-make-it-work.359469/#post-915059

Long story short, you give the VM a boot flag that disables the use of the macOS Metal API (the macOS 3D Interpreter - kind of akin to Microsoft's DirectX, kind of). Given my iMac predates macOS Metal and I've always had 3D acceleration from the get-go, I presume this boot flag causes the VM to go back to using OpenGL as the 3D interpreter instead. I was still able to run 3D games without any issues. I typically play older games (pre-Ray Tracing and all that jazz), so I doubt I'm missing out on anything I didn't already have.

I suppose at some stage Apple will deprecate OpenGL from macOS, but hopefully, I'll just have a newer iMac by then *shrugs* :)

Have a great day!

6. AlexanderS52

AlexanderS52 Bit poster

Setting video.metal=0 in hadware -> boot-order -> advanced,fixed the issue for me as well.
    Thanks

Andrew Hawken likes this.
  7. Andrew Hawken

Andrew Hawken Bit poster

No problem. Glad to have been able to help!

8. Andrew Hawken

Andrew Hawken Bit poster

@PeterG30 Perhaps you could pay a little more attention to the topic of discussion before swooping in with a completely incorrect response.

I'll address your response in parts:

This is not possible as the computer is running macOS and the VM is running Windows 10. The 'red screen' (which you'll see is a screenshot by the OP) makes any and all input within the VM impossible.

As we are discussing a macOS issue, you can not simply update the graphics drivers, as those we have are those provided by Apple. Also, the issue is not one of outdated graphics card drivers, but rather an issue affecting communication between the Metal API (another macOS thing) and the Parallels Desktop video acceleration module.

As we are discussing a macOS issue, and as you would know, the iMac is an integrated unit, there are no 'cables' to check. This also includes virtual machines. They too do not have any cables. As both myself and the OP have indicated, our iMacs are working just fine, no issue with our displays, but rather the output from the Parallels Desktop VM is displaying 'red'. Again, no cables or monitor to swap as Parallels Desktop facilitates virtual machines.

As previously discussed, This is not possible as the computer is running macOS and the VM is running Windows 10. The 'red screen' makes any and all input within the VM impossible.

As previously discussed, This is not possible as the computer is running macOS and the VM is running Windows 10. The 'red screen' makes any and all input within the VM impossible.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Andrew

9. Andrew Hawken

Andrew Hawken Bit poster

Hi All,

Just an update on this issue. Today I updated my iMac to macOS Ventura 13.4 (was previously 13.3.1(a)). Before installing the update, I first installed the latest OpenCore Legacy Patcher (0.6.5) (including a fresh build and install) and rebooted. I then proceeded with the macOS update and rebooted again. Finally, I ran OpenCore Legacy Patcher, applied the root patches, and rebooted one more time. I then decided to test my Windows 10 VM again without setting video.metal=0 under Configure... --> Hardware --> Boot Order --> Advanced (i.e. I removed the video.metal=0 flag). Windows 10 booted, Parallels Tools updated and Windows 10 rebooted again. I then decided to try playing Honkai: Star Rail (hey, no judging) inside the VM which was absolutely horrible and unplayable with macOS Metal disabled. It ran perfectly fine! I've tried a few other games (that didn't play well with Metal disabled) and they are running fine too.

Admittedly, I do not know which fixed resolved the issue. Either updating to OCLP 0.6.5 or installing the macOS Ventura 13.4 update, or a combination of the two. Either way, I'm happy to see regular video acceleration back, for now.

Regards,

Andrew