Windows 10 Slow Load After V14 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by EricH3, Sep 27, 2018.

1. EricH3

EricH3 Bit poster

I have an issue now where the VM I have been using for quite some time is now taking up to 5 minutes to start Windows 10 after upgrading to v14. I also upgraded to Mojave in the process but it has not seemed to have any effect on load speeds with v14 on my Macbook Pro. I have tried many different settings, processors, graphics mem allocations, etc. with no effect. It is painfully slow to boot whereas Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro is within seconds. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Eric

2. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

3. EricH3

EricH3 Bit poster

I can certainly take a look but there was no issue while running v13. This happened right after v14 upgrade.

4. RichardW16

RichardW16 Bit poster

I was running High Sierra with parallels 12. I upgraded to 14. My windows boot time went from about 1 min to 8-10 mins. Windows 10 updates now take about 1 hour. Normal before.

5. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Look at the event viewer anyway. Will show if it is something 'inside Windows' that is actually causing the problem, or the Parallels environment 'outside'.
    There are quite a few issued with V14, but most seem to be triggered 'later' when the Mac goes into hibernate mode.
    There will have probably been Windows updates as well at the same time, and something may just have decided to 'throw a wobbly'...

6. RichardW16

RichardW16 Bit poster

Thanks i will try it

7. ViniciusW

ViniciusW Bit poster

You found anything about this issue? I have the same problem with windows 10...
    My windows 7 VM boot in 10 seconds but my windows 10 takes like 10 minutes to boot... crazy

8. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

The same here since the update to Parallels 14 (14.0.1) - iMac, MacOS Sierra, 3.1GHz, 16GB RAM, Fusion Drive.
    Windows 10 takes between 6 and 9 minutes to start.
    Parallels Support has tried everything - they said there seems to be a problem with the Fusion Drive, waiting for the next update.

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ViniciusW, we apologize for any inconvenience this brings. We would suggest you following the steps mentioned below to fix the slow startup issue:

* Inside the Windows press the Start button > Cogwheel Settings icon > System > Power and sleep > Additional power settings > Choose what power buttons do > Change settings that are currently unavailable > Turn on fast startup (recommended) > Uncheck > Save changes.

* Installing Windows updates is relatively straightforward - as long as the Windows is intact (as even sfc /scannow wasn't finished - and this is the first diagnostic step to be taken - we wouldn't be able to confirm this). All you have to do to get rid of the pending updates is push your virtual machine into restarting.

Afterward, we'd recommend checking the virtual machine performance.

10. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

Hello PaulChris,
    I have everything with the support s. Ticket # 2536821 performed. Unfortunately without success.

11. PhillipJ2

PhillipJ2 Bit poster