Windows 10 Updates Download Slowly to VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DavidB36, Oct 6, 2017.

1. DavidB36

DavidB36 Bit poster

I recently upgraded both macOS (to High Sierra) and Parallels (to Home version 13).

I was hoping that the upgrades would fix a problem that has plagued me since Parallels 11 and that is an extremely slow download and installation of Windows updates on my virtual machine. When I run the updater, it will show files that are available and says that it is downloading them, but shows 0% complete for a LONG period of time. Eventually the updates will complete (sometimes after they run for hours) and it seems to affect all update files (virus definitions, Windows Defender, Microsoft Office, Windows Updates). I have my machine configured in the manner that Parallels recommends for it to work with my Mac (mid-2011 MacBook Pro with 2.5 Ghz. I-7 processor and 16 GB of RAM) and I run the updates on a regular basis. I tried Parallels support about 6 months ago to try and solve the issue but had no success getting help with it.

Can anyone suggest how I should set up my Windows 10 virtual machine to speed things up or what I need to do to troubleshoot this issue?

2. StephenT3

StephenT3 Bit poster

David, I too am searching for a solution to network speed/throughput. For example, a browser on OSX with any of the online speed tests rep0orts 50-80mbps download and on Windows 10 any browser reports 2.5-3.0mbps download speed. No change with Bridged or Shared network settings. Very frustrating. Steve

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Guys, we recommend you to follow the below steps to fix the issue:
    1. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
    To do this, go to the Windows Update troubleshooter.

2. Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)
    To do this, follow these steps:

* Open an administrative Command Prompt window.
    * At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow, and then press Enter.
    * After the scan is finished, try to install updates again.

4. StephenT3

StephenT3 Bit poster

Thanks Paul, but that's not my issue. I'll admit I try to restrict Windows Updates as Microsoft Update seems to ignore my wishes and is always giving me the "Do not shutdown... installing updates 1%..." This morning I did run all the Updates and they installed fine. Speed tests download 108mbps on the OSX side but 2.6mbps on Parallels/Win10.
    I did try to reset winsock with:
    netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset

As usual, I am not interested in completely starting over as I have all my programs, Sql Server, databases, etc. If the network throughput is not anything seen with the Parallels installation I'll suffer along searching for why Windows is throttling my network connections.

Steve

5. StephenT3

StephenT3 Bit poster

David, No fixes helped me and I was preparing to wipe and reinstall my Windows10. I decided to install a fresh new Windows 10 VM without deleting my existing VM. After install, the first thing I tried in the new VM was the Edge browser and a speed test - resulting in similar speed as the OSX host. After the test I closed the new Win 10 and fired up my old VM and was quite surprised to find that my existing Win 10 was back to full speed network throughput.
    So try installing a new Win10 VM and maybe you'll be lucky as I was.

Steve

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @StephenT3, could you please go to Help menu of Parallels Desktop application and send us the technical data report via Send Technical Data... menu item? Then, post the number here.

7. StephenT3

StephenT3 Bit poster

ID number 231562690

8. MarkN6

MarkN6 Bit poster

I too was having this problem. Seems to have resolved once I enabled "Network Conditioner" option in Network config and set to correct connection type, WiFi in my case.