Windows 10 vm copied to another machine - keeps stopping after startup

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by rvmeush, Feb 26, 2019.

1. rvmeush

rvmeush Member

I have a Windows 10 vm running on a Macbook using Parallels Desktop 13. I installed and old copy I had of Parallels Desktop 10 on an older machine and wanted to get the Windows 10 vm running there. I copied the Windows 10 .pvm file to the older machine. When I try to start the vm it puts up a startup screen but immediately goes to a Stopping mode and then puts up a window indicating a problem, but it doesn't show a specific error. I tried looking through the log file it creates, but I'm not quite sure what to look for.

I have successfully moved a Window XP vm and a Windows 7 vm to run on the old machine using Parallels Desktop 10. There must be something different about the Windows 10 vm that is causing an issue.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to get this VM running.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  2. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Hunter

Please give us the size and location of the "pvm" file size.

3. rvmeush

rvmeush Member

I have attached a screen capture that shows what I think your are asking for. pvm size and location.jpg

4. Thanks, and what about the issue which appears after the VM start? Is it possible to make a screenshot of it too?

5. rvmeush

rvmeush Member

Here are some shots of the progression of the displays.
    Screen Shot 3.jpg Screen Shot 4.jpg Screen Shot 2.jpg Screen Shot 1.jpg

6. rvmeush

rvmeush Member

Thank you for looking into this. I checked the KB article that you referenced. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell it is necessary to get the VM booted in order to run the procedure. Every time I try to start the Windows 10 vm it immediately stops, so I'm unable to access the recovery environment. Is there something else you would recommend trying?

7. JohnathanF

JohnathanF Bit poster

Я использовал его очень много всю свою жизнь Windows 7, и здесь я купил новый компьютер от Windows 10, Спасибо за информацию.

8. @JohnathanF we'll be glad to help you.Plz provide us with more details about the issue which you have with Parallels Desktop.

9. Luigiview

Luigiview Bit poster

Hi Maria. I am having the same issue, can you please help me? In resume, I'm using Paralles 10 MacOS Catalina, I had to re-install MacOS, so I backed up the .PVM file in an external HD, I copied back, and when I'm trying to start Windows 10 VM, I 'm having this same issue. Is you need further info, please let me know. Thanks.

10. Hello, are you using Parallels Desktop 10?
    It doesn't compatible with macOS Catalina.
    Please let us know if it's not that case.