Windows 10 VM has inconsistent network issues

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RodB, Jan 25, 2017.

1. RodB

RodB Member

Macbook Pro OS X 10.11.6, Parallels 12.1.2 (41525)
    I'd welcome any ideas on what might be happening here. I am nearly ready to just frag the VM and start fresh. Except I don't know that would cure anything. It could be an issue with Parallels and Windows 10 period, not just this instance.

I've been experiencing some very inconsistent behavior on my Windows 10 VM. It had been running find for a while without issues then I had not needed it for several weeks. I brought it up last week and then it attempted to install the 1607 update but failed due to an incompatible McAfee. (Having to wait as IT hasn't approved this yet.) Since then, it has been erratic but it all feels like intermittent network issues.

Context: This is in an AD domain. I have another Parallels VM (Windows 7 SP1) which works fine and has no networking issues or any other issues. I compared the settings between the two VMs and did note this oddity: The Windows 7 SP1 VM (under Hardware > Network 1 > Advanced Settings) shows a Type of "Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT". While the Windows 10 VM shows a Type of "Intel(R) Gigabit CT (82574L)". Shouldn't these be the same given they're running on the same Macbook Pro?

The next day after the failed update scenario, I began using the VM and tried to open Edge to an internet site but it failed. Every attempt would cause Edge to show "Not responding". I tried Internet Explorer with essentially the same results -- though its message is different. However, I could successfully ping IPs or DNS names whether internal or external.

Then, several reboots later as I tried to figure out what was going on, the browsers began working fine. No issues. They are still working fine today. But the next time I booted, after a really long delay following entry of my credentials, it displayed this message:
    C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable.
    After closing the dialog, the shell was unresponsive so I was forced to shut down the VM. When I restarted, it booted fine with no issues.

But the next day, and since, I've been seeing issues. Sometimes, when I boot the VM in the morning, it fails to login and just sits and spins after I enter my credentials. I have to shut down the VM (can't shut down the OS). Then I start the VM and it works fine. This happens about every other day.

Other times, while working with an app, the app and/or shell seems to freeze. No response to a key or to a click. This lasts for a few seconds and then it seems fine again. The frequency of these freezes seems to be a minute or so -- making me think of a network timeout.

Today, after booting, I got this message:
    The System Event Notification Service service failed the sign-in.
    The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.
    When I clicked [OK], it signed out.

So I booted again and got this message:
    The System Event Notification Service service failed the sign-in.
    The universal unique identifier (UUID) type is not supported.
    When I clicked [OK], it signed out.

The next boot again displayed this message:
    C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable.
    After closing the dialog and shutting down the VM (since the shell was unresponsive) I started the VM and it booted fine and all seems okay.

But I hold no hope that it will continue to be okay when I boot tomorrow.

UPDATE: Booted fine the next morning, no errors, browsers connecting fine.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. RodB

RodB Member

This eventually stopped happening, though I continued to experience a periodic pausing of the VM responding to any mouse/keyboard input. I decided to start over and created an entirely new Windows 10 VM. This one initially had some networking issues, also -- had to run the troubleshooter and though it said it fixed a "corrupted protocol", every time I ran the troubleshooter, it would still report the issue and ask to fix it. A couple days later, the issue stopped happening and the browser seems fine. But this second VM continues to experience the pausing issue. See this thread: Windows 10 VM pauses periodically, ignores mouse/keyboard

3. RuneM

RuneM Bit poster

Weird. This exact, escalating behaviour startet for me five days ago. It seems a lot of people had their AD integrated Windows 10s corrupted by some update - to Parallels Desktop or to Windows 10...

4. RodB

RodB Member

I've not had the network/browser issue on the new VM since it stopped near the end of February. Curious: Do you have an WIn7 VMs and, if so, do you see any issues with it?