I recently bought Parallels Desktop and a Windows 10 license (2-3 months before M1 shipped, based on the promises from Parallels that their product was fully Big Sur and future "ready"), because I am a developer of Excel VBA applications and wanted to be able to test them cross-platform.
Aside from the frustration of being put "out of work" for so long by Parallels because they ignored to communicate to their users that the software was M1 incompatible BEFORE the M1 shipped, I now have to learn that only the ARM version of Windows will run on Parallels Desktop, and that existing VM from my previous mac won't work.
So not only will I have to rebuild the VM, I also have to start figuring out if ARM is in any shape or form going to reduce the compatibility ... (I'm not a Windows expert, so how can I find out if my MS Office 365 apps will work with FULL compatibility with the x86 version on the VM ?)
As it seems that Parallels is leaving the guess work to their paying customers, I'm hoping that someone here can help me understand what's what before I move over to the M1 copy of Parallels ... or start looking for alternative virtualisation software from competitors.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Philip
Aside from the frustration of being put "out of work" for so long by Parallels because they ignored to communicate to their users that the software was M1 incompatible BEFORE the M1 shipped, I now have to learn that only the ARM version of Windows will run on Parallels Desktop, and that existing VM from my previous mac won't work.
So not only will I have to rebuild the VM, I also have to start figuring out if ARM is in any shape or form going to reduce the compatibility ... (I'm not a Windows expert, so how can I find out if my MS Office 365 apps will work with FULL compatibility with the x86 version on the VM ?)
As it seems that Parallels is leaving the guess work to their paying customers, I'm hoping that someone here can help me understand what's what before I move over to the M1 copy of Parallels ... or start looking for alternative virtualisation software from competitors.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Philip